IGNORED

Oil in the water

Winesap7

Well my as-is project continues, what started out as a simple dragging starter repair has now turned into a water pump overhaul as I found oil in the water. I have a couple questions that I couldn't find answers to in the Tech. talk. How much slack is there supposed to be in the plastic gear that runs the pump, where mine sits on the pin there is noticable slack, is that normal? How many other places are there where oil can get into the water besides the head gaskets and which are the most likely? My trike has 44,800 miles on it. Also I did find a crack in the water seal, hard to believe oil can get into the water through that hair line crack. As usual any help is appreciated.

In the valley between the front and back cylinders there's a heat exchanger that might have a bad O ring. The thing looks like a big twinkie and the crankcase vent hose that goes to the air cleaner box comes out of it. If your water pump rebuild doesn't take care of your leak you might want to check the exchanger.