IGNORED

99 RSV trunk replacement

Just an update on the continuing saga of replacing the broken trunk bottom on my ride. I was able to secure a matching bottom from e-bay (with the help of FreezyRider). It was listed for $400.00, I offered $100.00 and purchased for $200.00. Ordered the kit for the new bottom which is just a metal plate for the top and a rubber one for the bottom. I JB Welded the metal plates to the inside and went about removing the old trunk. Lesson # 1, remove all screws and bolts that you can see first. We ended up taking the speakers apart becasuse we did not realize the screws holding the brackes for the inside net pocket also held the trunk to the backrest. I must say I am very disapointed in the quality (or lack therof) for the plates welded to the frame that the anchor screws going through the bottom to hold the trunk to the frame. It's not metal and not plastic but breaks like plastic and we had to cut off the right side plate and are trying to frabricate something to replace it with. This is for sure a two person job, just getting the hinges from the top fastened to the bottom ( you have to have the lid partly closed to get it to aline but partly open to line up the screws coming from the outside). Will keep you informed as to progress. Just want to say I would not have known where to start without all the great help from this web site, you guys are the best support group since Woddy Allen in Everything You Wanted to Know about Sex but were Afraid to Ask (for all us old timers who remember the movie)!!!!

I spoke with a new owner of an old RSV at Vogel a few weeks ago who had just gotten a free trunk from Yamaha. Obviously a 99 is WAY out of warranty, but the difference here is that the early bikes actually had a recall, and that recall remains good until it is performed for any specific serial number. He didn't even know about it, but his dealer was a good one who actually spotted the problem and checked the computer. When it was determined that the recall had not been performed, they fixed it for free. And they even let him keep the old trunk as a backup.

So if you have one of these old bikes with a cracked trunk base, maybe go ask.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose