IGNORED

product review - rivco chrome cup holder + re route audio cable - pics

massey130

last week i was surfing & came across a chrome cup holder. i ordered it & it came in. i could not wait to get it installed. i have been on call & the hours don't leave good mechanicin' time. today i got it installed as well as re routing the driver audio cable.

the pictures will be mixed up due to naming conventions, but you will get the idea after reading this novel.

one pic shows the factory ad. it is/was on sale for 36 bucks and some shipping. go to www.cruisercustomizing.com and do a search for cup holder. there are a couple of pics checking out which side to mount the holder on. i put the handlebar mount on the right & just held the cup there. that won't work for me, so it is off to the other side. i really wanted something to hold my Mp3 player & the included extra foam for smaller containers is great for the player & cord. i feel the friction fit will it sufficiently, but a ride down I-10 in Louisiana will be the ultimate test. there have been improvements to I-10, but only because of Hurrican Katrina, Rita, Ike & Gustave to improve hurricane evacuation routes.

the cup holder comes with 2 sets of inserts to fit 3 different handlebar sizes. i took the smaller of the two to get it mounted by the radio unit. i took several pictures of after mounting for different view.

included in the pictures are my re routing the audio cable. i did not like that it hung over the tank left side. the previous owner had removed the rubber holder. it was in the trunk among the other stuff that came with the bike. i cut velcro type material to fit the rubber holder, cleaned both surfaces with al -key - haul & mounted it to the tank cover. i used my dremel rotary tool with a similar size stone to make the new hole so the cable would come through the inside of the ingnition cover straight down the tank.

i can't test ride as i won't hear my on call phone ringing, so i will wait until coming wednesday for a ride when i am off . i hope all holds up.

dale in La.

i forgot to mention that the cup does swivel to and fro. after tightening the bolt that holds the cup to the mount, it moved when i went to check something else. that was an added bonus in my opinion. it has some friction to keep it from freely swinging like the boat styled cup holders. that saying, after some time of riding, it may wear and swing freely.

the mount is sturdy and tightened up well.

here is an excerpt from the advertiser -

capable of holding drink containers, beverages, cell phones, sunglasses, radios, and keys. It features a separate inner insulated lining that detaches easily from the stainless steel beverage/accessory holder and chrome-plated mounting hardware. Foam inserts accommodate 12 oz. cans, 16 and 20 oz. bottles. Fits most 7/8" to 1.25" handlebars. Comes individually boxed with an Allen wrench for easy assembly.

one reviewer stated "don't use windex to clean it"

so far so good.

dale in La.

does it hit at full turn?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know. i will check tonight. from what i remember, though, as i am sitting at work, i don't think so. it seems about level with the radio unit, so it should swing right over.

I will go into the garage & swing the bars L to R full lock & find out.

I will post after that for a defininite answer.

Dale in La

as the previous poster stated, it does not hit the tank left to right locking & has nearly 3 inches clearance. i was able to mount it swivel capable & be bottom heavy. i put about 75 miles on today & it seems rock solid. it is a nice addition for us.