IGNORED

Turn signal problem

I have searched the other forums and threads for an answer to my problem but I haven't found one yet. My right turn signal blinks rapidly while the left blinks normally. I have tried to locate any possilbe shorts with no luck. The manual suggests the flasher relay as the culprit and I am leaning that way also. My question is: Has anyone ever heard of a flasher relay failing for one side and not the other?

If so then a new relay it is for me. If not any assitance will be appreciated.

Guest Boomerbiker

I work with an electrical engineer and experienced a similar problem to what you have described. He said it was unlikely that it was the relay. I eventually found the short in the bundle of wires behind the license plate.

Page 9-6 of the service manual lists three possibilities:

1. wrong turn signal bulb
  2. Bad flasher relay
  3. Burnt out turn signal bulb

Unless you recently changed one of the bulbs, it is probably number 3. Of course, anything that keeps a bulb from lighting, such as a broken wire or bad contact in the socket, will cause the same symptom as a burnt out bulb. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I have had a similar problem and I found it is related to the contacts in the socket. If you look at the front signal lights and compare one side to the other, you may find that the filament for the running light stays on while the flasher filament cycles normally on one side. (may have to take the lenses off to see) On the other side (fast flashing side) the filament for the running light is on until you hit the flasher and then it cycles on and off - the flasher filament stays off. I still have the problem from time to time and I suspect there is still corrosion in the socket despite my best efforts to clean it up and liberal doses of dielectric grease. I'll probably have another go at cleaning it up and then replace the socket. When I bought the bike (used), both turn signal sockets were badly corroded and it took considerable effort to remove the bulbs and free up the springs.

Of course, it could be any of the other things suggested. If you get what I described, try wiggling the bulb while it is flashing and see if it works normally at any point.

Ross

Try swapping the bulbs right on the bike before buying new ones.

Swap the two rear bulbs first, test them, then swap the two front ones, test again. If either swap moves the problem to the other side of the bike, you've isolated the problem to a specific bulb. If this doesn't change anything, then begin checking your receptacles and wiring.

As mentioned earlier, all the rear light wiring is in a small box behind the license plate and is very easy to get to. The individual wires to each lamp are quick-disconnect style.... unhook them one at a time and test between unhooks (reconnect afterwards), see if that helps you eliminate the problem down to a specific circuit. Same can be done in the front as well.

David

Everything mentioned so far are all good reasons. I had this happen and it ended up being a short in the right turn signal wire inside of the passing light bar. It was just barely touching causing the impedance to be different but not enough to blow the fuse.

So if you have the Yamaha passing light bar on you might also check where the wires exit the bar and enter into the turn signal housing.

I agree with the corrosion. I've seen several of these bikes with water in the turn signals. Usually the left rear for whatever reason. I've seen them so bad that there was no salvaging the sockets and they had to be replaced. Check them all for water and corrosion.

The corrosion thing is what happened to mine. I tried several times to keep water out of the housings but nothing stopped it 100% until I drilled VERY small hole in the bottom of the lens..Havnt had a problem in years now.

I just came back in from the garage. The gremlin that caused the problem must have heard that I was getting help from the folks on this forum. He apparantly decided to leave. I went out and took the lense off the right front signal to test one of the suggestions and when I hit the turn signal everything worked properly. With all the fiddling I did yesterday with the bulbs, taking them out and putting them back, maybe the corrosion that was present got scraped off.

Anyway, if it happens again I have plenty of places to start.

I've said this before but I'll say it again. This is the best site I have found on the web. Freebird (my brother's favorite song, btw) you did one heck of a job. You should come down to Fl. next April for Leesburg Bikefest. Just featured on American Thunder as the largest two day bike event in the world. I can provide camping area, showers, and a limited amount of covered parking. Just 15 minutes from Leesburg. Almost four acres of camping space.

Thanks again to all for the great suggestions