IGNORED

I'm returning my Ultimate seat because.....

wrongway2

The following report is in no way meant to tarnish a brand at all but my wife and I both feel it's important to give honest feedback so that people who use forums to educate themselves, get all the information possible to help the make decisions.

I received the Ultimate seat late last Thursday and did the following rides, all with my wife on the back to test both seats properly.

1. Friday we rode about 150 miles
  2. Saturday we rode about 200 miles
  3. Sunday we ride about 300 miles
  4. Monday (today) we rode about 100 miles

Despite giving the seat lots of miles and different situations to give it a fair chance, here is why it's being returned.

I don't like typing this because as a Canadian, I really wanted to buy and enjoy a seat that's made by a Canadian company.

I realize that not everyone will like the same type of seat so this report is strictly what my wife and I experienced.

1. My wife says the pillion is no better if not worse than the stock seat. Every day that we tested it, withing an hour or less she could feel the seams in the seat and felt like her butt bones were on the seat pan. Naturally this caused not only numb bum, but pain as well, long after each ride was done.
  2. I had a problem which came within 30 miles on each day of testing the seat. It caused me moderate to severe Sciatic pain on my left side and nothing I tried as far as seating and foot position made a difference. I also experienced the same numb bum and pain as my wife did but mine didn't last as long after each ride (cuz I'm tuffer than her :cool10:). The last time I experience this kind of pain on a bike was on my Goldwing which had 150,000 miles on the seat and my Doctor said that the pain I was experiencing was because the foam in the seat was collapsing and I was sitting on the seat pan. That's the exact feeling I have with the brand new Ultimate seat.
  3. The last thing is that although Ultimate advertises that their seat is the same seating position as the stock seat, it's at least an inch higher than the stock seat which is important to a short a$$ like me with a 28" inseam.

We've had 3 Mustang seats in the past and have always been pleased with them. The reason with went with Ultimate this time was because of the seat height (Mustang is apparently 1" higher than stock) and because we wanted to buy Canadian because we'ed heard good things about Ultimate.

We'll see tomorrow how good their money back guarantee is won't we.

Anyway, still debating on the Mustang as I type this but suspect that I'll order a Mustang in the morning.

Again, this is only our experience and we fully understand that lot's of people love their Ultimate seats.

Greg

Something to consider on the mustang on a RSTD...I'm 6'0 and I felt like I could barely put my feet flat on the ground. Its not that its that much taller, but its wider at the tank. Also the seat is shallow compared to the stock seat which is good if you need to be closer to the handlebars. I then tried the comfort cruise from yamaha. Its just as comfortable as the mustang but in a different way. Where the mustang is flat the comfort cruise is molded like a corbin but a little softer. The comfort cruise positions you the same as the factor seat, maybe a tad higher due to the firmness. .

good feedback about the mustang seat. My mind was pretty much made up untill reading your report. If I can't touch the ground with my short little legs, I'm in trouble.

I see lots of the Yamaha comfort seats for sale on Ebay but no passenger seats and the passenger comfort is probably 75% of our purchasing decision.

Decisions....................decisions. :doh::doh:

If this is the biggest decision you have to deal with for the week...I'll trade lives with you!!! :stickpoke:

I know what you mean about passenger comfort....if momma ain't happy...ain't NOBODY happy!!! Why do you think we have a Venture for??? Momma would NOT go touring on the back of a hardtail chopper! :rotfl:

If this is the biggest decision you have to deal with for the week...I'll trade lives with you!!! :stickpoke:

I know what you mean about passenger comfort....if momma ain't happy...ain't NOBODY happy!!! Why do you think we have a Venture for??? Momma would NOT go touring on the back of a hardtail chopper! :rotfl:

Very good point about the "decision". In the big scheme of things it's nothing.

Mama still isn't forgiving me for getting rid of our 2005 Goldwing. Now that's a queen seat for momma. I'm enjoying riding a bike that has more of a "motorcycle" feel and look for lack of a better description.