IGNORED

Unhappy KAW-1700 Voyager thread

frogmaster

Hey Snarley, what exactly is the bet? Yamaha releases a new Venture based on the V-Max engine gets you the meal? And a new one based on a v-twin gets me the meal? I'll go for that.....and I won't be a bit mad if I lose!!! However, if I should win the meal will be in Indianapolis, not St Charles! Will that Nomad make it that far? :)

Joe

I always like the "heads I win .... tails you lose" kinda bet! (almost got my wife on that one the other day)

:sign20:

I am pretty happy with the Venture just the way it is except for the cassette player. I like the idea of having 10 years worth of parts bikes out there. We all know that if we need a part that anything from 1999 to 2009 will work. Mine has 75000 miles on it now and I just ordered a 800 dollar seat for it so I am planning for it to last a lot longer. If it doesn't I guess I will buy a low mileage used one. They are sure a lot cheaper and easier to find now compared to when I decided to get one in 2002.

I ride with the great lakes voyagers and there are new voyagers in the group and no one has had any of the problums that you are saing... Maybe you just got a dad one .. I also just bought a new 08 venture I would have bought the voyager if the dealer would want to make a deal... I think they are 2 realy good bikes Ronalde:banana:

I personally think, whether by design or luck, we have all landed on the nest overall bike you can get for the money. With PGR I ride with so many different people on so many different bikes it's hard to keep up. I think I am the only one who has NOTHING but good to say about my bike. It's really too bad Yamaha hasn't done a better job of marketing because they have built one hell of a bike. (1st and 2nd Gen)

I agree! Great bike, but alot of people I meet have never seen one before! Just this weekend a man came up to me and complimented my bike. He asked what it was and after telling him all about it he was impressed. He's a VTX rider. Yamaha just doesn't seem to get the whole advertising bit for touring bikes. I guess that's why they call it Yamaha's best kept secret! LOL!

And that is exactly what I trying to say and didn't do it too well. I was so unclear that tx2sturgis thought I meant that Yamaha was trying to woo Harley Riders. NOPE, that's not what I meant. I still think that Y knows they can't compete with the GW's headstart in the market unless they come in WAAAAAAY under Honda' price. And that is going to be hard to do with a bike that has the V-max engine in it plus a bunch of other upgraded technology.

I think they've found a niche right between HD & GW riders... I don't know how many older guys I've talked to that are looking to move up to a touring bike and can't decide between a Harley and a Wing... To me it's a No-Brainer get a RSV it's right between those... I think I read here somewhere "Looks like a Harley... Rides like a wing"

I don't expect that any (or many) HD riders would buy a Yamaha no matter what the price. People who tattoo a brand of bike on themselves.....well I better not go down that alley.

I agree Harley snobs are comical... I've seen them walk over to check out my bike from a distance and as soon as they realize it's not a Harley they turn their head like they're thinking 'Wow that was close I hope nobody saw me looking at that riceburner"

BTW I've had a Harley tatoo since I was 19 when I bought a brand new 1977 XLCH Sportster... But after getting screwed on obvious warranty issues they wouldn't stand behind and buying a couple of lemons that had more shoptime than road time I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid and tried some Jap bikes and never looked back..

I bought my 03 RSV in June 05 w/ 10K on it and it's gonna turn 100K this week and if there's a better bike out there for cross country touring with a big fat guy (Not as fat as I used to be 333.. down to 265 and dropping) on it I haven't seen or ridden it yet... Only repairs have been a stator, clutch and 1 coil

Edited by MAINEAC

A HD Friend of mine said he was looking for a Touring Bike that his Wife could be comfy on. Immediately I said you have RSV or GW to pick from!

He shook his head and said "You don't understand HD is not just a Bike it is a way of life".

From my limited background and reviewing some HD specs vs RSV & GW I concluded.......... "I DON'T UNDERSTAND" and I'm glad I have not been blinded by the HD Mystic Spell :witch_brew: and skipped the koolaid offering too.

Still respect them as fellow rider no matter what they ride.

:missingtooth:

Edited by frogmaster

I Love my RSV & GW. Yes Gold Wing is the king of Touring no if's about that NO#1 Seller. GW is better balance - better handling - more power - smother ride than the RSV, but for me I prefer the RSV due to the leg room and the seating! and the sound of the V4 motor is perfect too. I Like the Wing a lot but its for Peg not me, my knees hurt to much on long long trips on the GW but Peg loves the smooth ride of the GW . Peg's back hurts alot on the RSV due to the rough ride.But I love it more due to the leg room & seating. Like apples & oranges both are totally different touring packages. And as for Voyager I really do not like the looks of it, and the seating looks to small for two up. And this report on the Voyager did not help it any, but like all new rides there will be bugs and breakdowns until all worked out. And as for the Third Gen. if and when it ever comes out, I'll wait 2-3yrs before thinking of buying one maybe by then the bugs would be worked out.

Then again I may not like the looks of the Third Gen. either,If so I'll be keeping my RSV for some time to come!!!!!

And that is exactly what I trying to say and didn't do it too well. I was so unclear that tx2sturgis thought I meant that Yamaha was trying to woo Harley Riders. NOPE, that's not what I meant. I still think that Y knows they can't compete with the GW's headstart in the market unless they come in WAAAAAAY under Honda' price. And that is going to be hard to do with a bike that has the V-max engine in it plus a bunch of other upgraded technology.

However, there are a bunch of Harley "wannabees" out there who would like to buy an Ultra but can't afford it. A Strat-based machine with a fairing, trunk, etc would come in at probably 65-70% of the cost of the Ultra, and all these guys would have a shot at swinging that. I don't know how many times I have read here that current RSV owners looked at both the Ultra and the RSV and bought the RSV because of price and warranty.

I don't expect that any (or many) HD riders would buy a Yamaha no matter what the price. People who tattoo a brand of bike on themselves.....well I better not go down that alley.

Hey Snarley, what exactly is the bet? Yamaha releases a new Venture based on the V-Max engine gets you the meal? And a new one based on a v-twin gets me the meal? I'll go for that.....and I won't be a bit mad if I lose!!! However, if I should win the meal will be in Indianapolis, not St Charles! Will that Nomad make it that far? :)

Joe

i will drive to indy any time for free food. :rotf:

Guest tx2sturgis
... To me it's a No-Brainer get a RSV it's right between those... I think I read here somewhere "Looks like a Harley... Rides like a wing"

I actually never thought of the Venture on those terms, but you're right. It is situated squarely between those two pieces. Sort of a cross between a 'Wing and a 'Glide.

And maybe the market demographics bear that out. I'm a bit TOO large to be comfy on my Ultra Classic ElectraGlide, but its ok. It looks good, and it sounds good, but add a passenger over, say, 140 pounds or so, and its not a fun weekend. But I've ridden a GoldWing and although it was long on power and smoothness, I found that, even as large as the bike is, the ergos did not quite feel right for me, having ridden ElectraGlides for years. And dont even get me started on the looks, or lack of audible presence.

So in the spring of 2006, I was looking thru a motorcycle magazine, and lo and behold here was a bike called a Yamaha Venture that the moto-journalist described as a mile-eater with good ergos AND good looks, and enough power to get the job done, more than an Ultra, but less than a GoldWing. Pricewise it beat them both hands down. Five year warranty included. Sure, it had some quirks, but go swing a leg over one and check it out. It actually fits a man of my size quite well. Midgets need not apply.

The rest is history. When it comes to the middle ground, Goldilocks had it figured out. Touring bikes, like porridge, need to be JUST RIGHT.

Disclamer: Closed course and professional rider. No bears were harmed in the making of this posting. Porridge may contain wheat gluten. Your mileage may vary. On approved credit. Not all buyers will qualify.

:cool17:

Edited by tx2sturgis

joe, i have to disagree with you on this one big time. the strat is a nice bike but has nothing going for it to compete as a touring bike. the push rod, air cooled, non counter balanced engine is rather archaic for a top of the line tourer. it's a great cruiser and chopper motor. i had a warrior and it is basically the same engine just a slight amount smaller. it shook at various highway speeds like bad. even the wing engine is getting a total redesign. it will be high tech stuff, rumors are 2000 cc 6 speed with cylinders that cut out for more gas mileage. i can garrantee you yamaha wants to compete with honda and bmw for a chunk of the elite touring market, and it will be with the max engine when they do it. they did'nt put millions of dollars and 10 years of engineering in it just for a v-max. and then price it out of the average persons reach. it will be in yamahas 3rd gen touring bike. like i said last year, it won't look anything like the second gen. they will go for the younger generation market. :stirthepot: :2133:

I have to agree with you Bill the RSV has been around basically since 1996 in one form or another. 13 years ago. Baby boomers with money fueled that classic motorcycle look of Harley just before that Harley was dead on its knees. Baby Boomers looking for their youth could reminisce with old looking bikes. Baby boomers are getting older and they already bought their bikes or are quitting riding. That big market isnt going to be around. I'm 43 and have no interest in a classic looking bike its just plain boring everywhere you look its the same looking bike. I prefer a sporty more technologically advanced motorcycle that can perform and be comfortable. I grew up with Honda Hurricane's and Ninja's not classic looks. I think the market has to change. Just like kids today are hopping up the Japanese cars instead of the American ones. Times change. Harleys gonna have to change eventually too or they'll be like they were in 70-80s struggling to breath.

Ride a Stratoliner before you judge that engine. The warrior engine may look similar and be just a bit smaller, but the vibration you speak of doesn't exist on my buddies Strat.

I really am cynical of Yamaha's wanting to compete with Honda and BMW for the touring market. I think they are wanting to compete with Harley Davidson. That is why they made the 2nd gen a cruiser style bike. Just look at what Honda and BMW were producing in 1999 when the 2nd gen was introduced......not really even in the same market segment. Yes, they all are touring bikes. The Honda and Beemer are more futuristic in styling than the RSV. It is evident who Yamaha had their sights set on when they released the RSV, and I think that they will continue to try to get some of the HD market instead of trying to compete with the two companies who pretty much have the "modern styled" touring market all sewn up.

Of course, we could both be wrong and Yamaha could come up with something totally off the wall and make us both look like idiots!:big-grin-emoticon:

Yea 13 years ago I think Harley sells more bikes then Yamaha does in the touring segment so I think Harley has it all sewn up. Good article on the future of motorcycles a couple years old though.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/future.htm#futureofhd

Edited by CrazyHorse

I agree! Great bike, but alot of people I meet have never seen one before! Just this weekend a man came up to me and complimented my bike. He asked what it was and after telling him all about it he was impressed. He's a VTX rider. Yamaha just doesn't seem to get the whole advertising bit for touring bikes. I guess that's why they call it Yamaha's best kept secret! LOL!

Exact same thing for me on Sunday... a GW rider pulled up and parked beside me and right away he was oogling my ride... but had no idea what make it was and worse yet, thought it was a V-twin coz the first thing he asked is "how's the vibration..." LOL and I told him "what vibration...there isn't any" and I pointed out it's a V-four, water cooled Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture ... aarrrr arrrrr arrrrr arrrrrr ... oooooggghhhhh (like Tim the Toolman used to do) LOL

he was quite impressed!