IGNORED

Still wrenchin' on the '91

Pulled the covers off the '91 to get to the #4 carb and it's non--reactive diaphragm assembly to see why it's not working. Sad to say I pulled out what looked to be a brand new diaphragm, and whoever installed the thing didn't make sure the lip bead was seated in the groove properly and crushed the bead when they screwed down the cover, and then left it that way. It's been sitting in there for lord knows how long and the lip has been deformed to the point where it will no longer seal. I did pull out a used one that had a half dozen micro holes in it, gave it a shot of Plasti--Dip, and got the slide to start working, but not good enough to match the movement of the other 3. So, I trying to get this bike preped for Cody in two weeks, and I need one good assembly with no holes....fast. Anyone have a good used spare I could buy and they could priority mail it to me??

Hi Jack,

I have 3 good used ones I could mail one out tomorrow. Let me know.

Randy

Good on ya Randy. We don't want Jack stuck at home, missing the Roundup, because he doesn't have a bike to ride :stickpoke:

Just given you a bad time Jack. Glad to hear you're getting the '91 rolling!

Dave

Good on ya Randy. We don't want Jack stuck at home, missing the Roundup, because he doesn't have a bike to ride :stickpoke:

Just given you a bad time Jack. Glad to hear you're getting the '91 rolling!

Dave

Nothin like a good ol' Venture Round-Up to motivate a guy. :)

Hey Jack.

I discovered this by accident but is seems to work. I had some odds and ends of master cylinder diaphrams and a couple of carb diaphrams that were wrinkled up and looked like they were headed for the trash. I had a few parts I took to a buddies shop for cleaning and he had a high pressure parts washer that's heated to clean and dry the parts. I loaded the basket with the metal parts and then as an afterthought I threw in the rubber parts to.

When they came out they looked like new and were supple again and in their orginal shape. I ended up using two of the carb diaphrams until I go my new ones.

If ya got a buddy in a shop around there that has one of these types of parts washers you might give it a try.

Hey Jack.

I discovered this by accident but is seems to work. I had some odds and ends of master cylinder diaphrams and a couple of carb diaphrams that were wrinkled up and looked like they were headed for the trash. I had a few parts I took to a buddies shop for cleaning and he had a high pressure parts washer that's heated to clean and dry the parts. I loaded the basket with the metal parts and then as an afterthought I threw in the rubber parts to.

When they came out they looked like new and were supple again and in their orginal shape. I ended up using two of the carb diaphrams until I go my new ones.

If ya got a buddy in a shop around there that has one of these types of parts washers you might give it a try.

I gave that a thought. At least the heat part, but this one is really scrunched. I might play around with boiling it sometime in the future, but I doubt it will do any good.. I just needed to get things going on this bike as it has a lot of smaller nagging issues, and not much time to deal with them. Maybe with luck I'll have it on the road to Cody. If not I still have 'old faithful', the '83.

Quick question Mike. Was that a pressure washer or a ultrasonic cleaner? I have one of the Ultras, and it does get pretty warm. Although the crushed diaphragm one looks like new, maybe boiling it might bring it back to original. I'll give it a shot. Hey, at $65 bucks a pop it worth a try.... :)

Edited by Condor

Received the diaphragm from Randy in the mail yesterday. MANY THANKS RANDY!!!!!!!! I owe ya... I'm happy to report I now have a #4 carb that's giggling away right along with the rest of them. Syncing them this AM and hopefully it'll be down hill from here on out.... Pulling the front tire for a new Venom tomorrow.