IGNORED

To use saddle bags, or not to use saddle bag? That is the question.

ToolmanRR

For those that use saddle bags, do you like them or do they take up too much valuable space inside the box? I know the convinence if just grab-and-go is nice, but what about the down-side of using them. (if there are any)

If you like them, which ones do you recommend I get and where can I get them?

I love mine!! they are made in the shape of the hard bag in a thin durable material so they don't take extra space, but you can't stuff them, when packing try to keep the bag in the shape you need it to fit. If you have the CD player you will need to pack the bag about 3/4 full so it will fit around it. I got mine off e-bay (the 3 bag set)and the price was resonable.

Yes i love them

Mike

I have done both and def. prefer the use of the fitted bags. I usually use the side bags for clothes and raingear (bags go in then rain gear goes ontop of the bag). It does make it easier, especially when the g/f comes with me (that way she knows exactly how much space she has to take up so she must make it fit). It also makes it easier on stops as others have said.

I have also used the grocery bag method, which I believe allowed me to pack a little more (but I won't gauruntee that) and it was a little bit of a pain.

I do not have the trunk bag but I do have the side bags (the ones done up by Yamaha). You couldn't beat the deal I got on these either (a friend of mine sold his Venture and forgot to put the bags in with the bike so he gave them to me; used a grand total of once).

I have a full set made by Beer30. Great construction, very sturdy. I am also impressed at the way it allows me to actually load more than I was ever able to without the liners. And one of my saddlebags is just tools, cover, and other assorted motorcycle items. Keeping it in a bag makes it easier whenever I have the bike serviced. Just pull the bag and the pilferables go with me.

Guest Ken8143

I like my liners a lot. Have original liners for the side bags. So handy to tote things into the motel. Stuff that needs to stay with the bike in in the trunk, or in the bottom of one of the side bags (took kit, odds and ends).

If necessary, I have a small tote bag I got from Cabellas I strap to the trunk rack - that holds rain gear, tire gage, windshield cleaner, etc.

I also have an original tank bag useful for maps, credit card, etc. It is velco'd to a strap harness. Just pull it off and take that along in.

Check out Poor Man's Fixes - a suggestion there of using the reusable bags you can buy at the grocery store. Thought that was a good idea if you don't have fitted liners already.

When traveling I use a bag in the trunk but not in the side bags. Half or more of the stuff in the side bags, like rain gear, microfiber towels, extra tools and such, never go into the room.

When just running around town or doing day trips I don't use any inner bags.