IGNORED

03 Midnight RSV steers hard

I purchased an 03 RSV at a good price and I'm trying to get right before I re sell it. It has new tires, brakes and the head bearings seem to be right according to the adjustment info supplied here for bump and return of the front end as posted. The problem is that when you go into a turn you feel as if you have to muscle it. You almost have to pull with one hand and push with the other. It is not as smooth as my 1999 RSV. I have a suspicion that something may be out of alignment or bent. Anyone have any ideas as to how to check if something is bent (ie: fork leg)? Any help is appreciated.

Does this bike have stock size front tire?

Does it have a lowering kit on the rear?

What brand of tires did you install?

What is the tire psi?

This could have a big effect on it. My dealer said to put 2Lbs more than spec in both front and rear...so I did...and it made quite a difference.

+1 to the tire pressure

This might be a stretch, but it is quick to check the air in the front forks (make sure they are equal or just let all of the air out of both). Like I said, I am not positive this would contribute to the symptoms you describe but it is an easy thing to do to rule it out.

I purchased an 03 RSV at a good price and I'm trying to get right before I re sell it. It has new tires, brakes and the head bearings seem to be right according to the adjustment info supplied here for bump and return of the front end as posted. The problem is that when you go into a turn you feel as if you have to muscle it. You almost have to pull with one hand and push with the other. It is not as smooth as my 1999 RSV. I have a suspicion that something may be out of alignment or bent. Anyone have any ideas as to how to check if something is bent (ie: fork leg)? Any help is appreciated.

Silly question, what kind of tires on the bike?

As others have suggested, check your pressures.. Mine are 40 psi front and 42 rear. This would be the nice pressure for 2 up or one reasonably sized biker.. (round IS a shape ya know)..

Front forks, even pressure makes a diff. If no gauge or pump, you could simply let out all the air (0 PSI) and test it again. I have a 0-60 mini-hand pump that works, but still looking for the same one but in 0-10 psi..

On a stretch, see if the previous owner lowered the bike incorrectly or if the geometry is way off. A lot of people find the 2nd Gen heavy to handle and will try to lower it by various means or install 'leveling links' which do make a grand difference to the handling.

just suggestions..