IGNORED

2nd gen shock help

Chief

Ok well need little assistance guys. So my 99' has 69,000 on it and just last week i parked in the garage for few days because i had to drive to work. after about day 3 i noticed a small river running from underbike to garage door. so i checked it out and it looked like it was coming from the rear shock. I have heard this before that they go bad just all of a sudden. so i cleaned up the mess and check the air pressure in it. 0 it had so i filled it up to 40lbs and rode to work. when i went to leave work it still was hold at 40lbs. here we are on thursday and still 40lbs in it. should i be looking for a different leak back there or is it possible that it can hold air and still leak oil. HELP! i dont want to replace the shock if i dont need to.

I have a 02 and it held air also, but the shock was trashed, had around 60,000 on it. Were double up all the time. Replaced it, man what a deferent's. After calling Shock Works 818.701.1010 and talking to Sanda I decided to go with them, only because the shock can be rebuild by them for about $45.00 or myself for less. Had it for over a year now and I'm happy, had to take a little time to get the adjustments just right.

:7_2_104[1]:

Edited by Al Bates

...is it possible that it can hold air and still leak oil?

Yes, it happened to me that way... my shock was blown (oil leak), but held air pressure just fine. Had it replaced under warranty. My oil leak was a slow one so I never had the puddle in my garage, but boy did I notice the difference when I pulled out of the shop with the new shock.

cool thanks guys. just wanted to make sure i was not crazy. Spoke to Works today nice enough but think i am going to go with YSS Shocks. Spoke with the owner today and really liked what he had to say. same price as Works but if you send him your shock he like works will duplicate it and also build it to the riders specs. But the kicker is if you let him keep your old shock price goes down to $349.00. So seems like a no brainer here. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the input.

Let us know how that works out. I have no idea why they would need to keep your shock. They can't be rebuilt and once he has your shock to make one for you he would have the specs. You also need to see how much it costs to rebuild if it can be rebuilt.

How long will it take for them to make you one and get it to you?

I have had the Works Performance for almost 3 years and it has been nothing short of outstanding in performance. I have not had to make a single adjustment, just mounted it and everything was within specs right off the bat.

I have a 05 still under warranty, it holds air pressure but it squeaks when i set on and i have seen an occasional drop of oil on the floor but never been able to track the source. The dealer say he figured it could be just a little over flow from the gas lines, but it did no smell of gas. Rides ok, but would rather have Yamaha put a new one on under warranty than me. That cash can go to other goodies or trips!

Thanks