IGNORED

hope my bike is ok...........

painterman67

Just got a call tonight from the wife. I'm working out of town and my wife called me earlier and told me that a storm sent my bike over on its side. It spent about 1 -2 hours on its side till a friend could get over to the house and stand it back up.

HE said the bilke cranked wright up after a quick check of the oil. No coolant as he could tell. When he cranked it up it immediately started leaking. Seems it broke the water pipe yet again. Is there anything that can be done to strenthen the highway/engine guards on a first gen.??

And for all the mechanics out there. Are there anything other than cosmetics I should look for ?? My buddy has his license and rides regular so he took it for a short ride and everything tracked well and seemed to function normally. He's out as many miles on this bike as I have so he knows how it works.

Any help or ideas will be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David

ps.I was going to send funds to the oops I dropped it club but since the wind did it I sent the $5 to the ope fund instead.

Edited by painterman67

No, when the first gens fall on the right side, the engine guard bends in toward the engine and a flange on the guard creases the elbow pipe to the water pump. The engine guard is easy to bend back out but the elbow needs to be replaced if it goes all the way through.

The guards should do a good job of protecting on a fall over. I wonder if it fell on something that got the water pipe. Something on the ground near the bike?

David, I assume you are talking about the elbow at the waterpump. What I did was after I pulled the engine guard away from the elbow, I took the guard off and ground the sharp edge off that contacts the elbow. If you will take a good look at it and maybe mark it with a marker, you can give yourself at least a 1/4 inch more clearance before it contacts the elbow. And, without the sharp edge, even if it touched the elbow, it may not hurt it.

I did this years ago and so far, even with a hard knock over, I have not damaged the elbow.

RandyA

yep it was the plastic 90 and it was already patched as a new one is around $50-$60 bucks counting o-rings. GUess i'll try to patch it again. If that dont work then I'll have to wait. The parts would have to be orderd.

I do like the idea of grinding the tabs off though. My biggest worry was as I'm no mechanic, Could there have been any damage to the motor due to the 2 hours it was on it side.

Talked to a friend who is a mechanic today and he said the chance of motor problems was slim to none. That made my day.

David