IGNORED

Gas Tank For 2002 HD Superglide

Shot

Realizing that most of us with any sense ride rice burners, my son has a 2002 Superglide Harley, carborated, and his gas tank has sprung a leak. Buying a new one cost too much on a marine's paycheck, especially since he just found out this week he will be a daddy again (boy this time).

Any ideas where we might be able to find a used tank? Do they have junk yards, etc for motorcycles? I know I'm scratching in the dark, but what the heck. You guys and gals have come through before I thought I would try again. Thanks.

It just might be a whole lot more cost effective to remove the tank, have it cleaned, (steam whatever) and then lined with epoxy. That way he can retain his stock color. I've this process done a number of times without any problems. Please be advised that it's necessary to have someone do it that has a good rep. The tank needs to be free of any residue (gasoline) and should be acid etched prior to the treatment. The end result will be longstanding and much cheaper than buying a used (beware) tank and then having to have it color matched......good luck...

Ride Easy,

Renne

There is a place in indianapolis called cycle recycle that sells used bike parts for everything and I am sure if you look on ebay you will find all sorts of harley stuff. You can epoxy it yourself if you wish its not hard at all the hardest part is getting it cleaned. Just follow the instructions on the bottles and you can but the stuff at places like J&P or JC Whitney I have used the stuff before and it works great and it seals off the metal from the gas. Good luck

Monday morning, call 731-644-7432. That is the # to Pitbull Motorcycle lifts. They carry lots of new and used Harley parts. I was in there last week, and there were quite a few tanks hanging on the wall for sale.

Patrick

A read only post from the Tech. section will tell you how to etch and seal your own tank. Pretty helpfull!

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=524]Etching and Sealing a gas tank - VentureRider.Org[/ame] :thumbsup: