IGNORED

Silly question oil levels

I just a large round of pre-road trip maintenance on the bike tonight, oil and filter, new set of plugs, and recharge the air filters.. I had done the plugs and air filter 12,000 miles ago and they looked spanking brand new, fresh red on the K&N and spark plugs had a nice colour to them (though I will post pics of them later on for your visual interpretation of them..)

I goofed when I put the oil in though, seems I added way too much.. almost 4 full litres instead of the usual 3.5 litres when doing the filter as well.

Silly question, ought I be better off to drain the excess or will it simply vent out and be no cause for concern except for possible mess on the bike?

With the bike upright, warm engine, the oil sits to the top of the glass, when on it's side stand, it's in the middle.

Personally, I'd drain but was always curious about this..

Thanks in advance.

The oil will seek its own level by venting. You will end up with a mess when a full 1/2 qt comes venting out. I would suggest just draining it all (or most) into a clean pan and then refilling it. Not more than half way up the window when it is straight up.

Good job catching this before you had a real mess on your hands.

RR

I would let a small amount out. If you were to let it vent you would see the results on the left rear cylinder (probably behind the fins though) and on the left rear carb as well. You wouldn't see the mess in the air tanks under the gas tank.

When I had my 1st gen done by the dealer, on the highway ride on the way home, I could always tell when they had over filled the engine. There was just this very slight vibration that I felt. So, if you pay attention very closely, you could probably tell, seat of the pants, that it was over filled. Then again, maybe it's just my pants. :whistling: :confused24: :sign20:

The book says to use 3.91 US quarts with a filter change, so I always leave a small amount (maybe a 1/4 cup) in the oil container. The oil then comes up 1/2 way in the window.

Too much oil results in excess being blown out.

I'm changing mine today before leaving for the Rally in Arkansas the next morning.