I just finished the water temp voltmeter and oil pressure gauge install. I have a 4.1 mile trip to work where most of my milage is put on. I get poor milage usually and I was wondering. My engine doesn't even get to where the fan kicks on by the time I get to work and my oil pressure at idle is 20. when i take a longer trip ;the idle oil pressure is about 10, which is to be expected as the viscosity decreases. I wonder if my short trip mileage is bad because the engine is not warm enough? I remember I think between naps in my thermo classes many(38) years ago that the higher temps are more efficient as a rule. any thoughts?

I just finished the water temp voltmeter and oil pressure gauge install. I have a 4.1 mile trip to work where most of my milage is put on. I get poor milage usually and I was wondering. My engine doesn't even get to where the fan kicks on by the time I get to work and my oil pressure at idle is 20. when i take a longer trip ;the idle oil pressure is about 10, which is to be expected as the viscosity decreases. I wonder if my short trip mileage is bad because the engine is not warm enough? I remember I think between naps in my thermo classes many(38) years ago that the higher temps are more efficient as a rule. any thoughts?

I think most here will tell you that their fans never come on while moving, and only come on when it is very hot outside and you are stopped.

Your short trips are VERY bad for the bike as a whole. Probably not much you can do about it (other than taking a longer route), but still real bad.

Not only does the engine oil pick up contaminates and acids that never get burned off when it does not come up to full temperature, but your battery will have a much shorter life than normal. Unless you are keeping it on a charger (not a tender), it is NEVER reaching full charge. That short ride is not enough to fully replace normal starting and sitting losses, even if you don't run passing lights or any other accessories.

As for the gauge info and fan - you need to understand just a little more. As already stated, the fan should almost never come on under normal riding, even in very hot weather, so don't even think about that.

Your mechanical volt meter cannot give you a reliable indication of the charging status of the battery until things are significantly going south. Way too many details to cover here. Under normal riding condition, any volt meter is good enough because all you are looking for is sudden large differences to tell you something is wrong, but to really monitor the condition of the battery and charging system, especially with so many short trips, you need a digital volt meter (or high quality analog bench volt meter) and an ammeter. Bottom line is that if this type of battery is not showing a MINIMUM of 12.8 volts after sitting overnight, it is not fully charged, and probably damaged.

The normal engine water temperature is around 210F, but the oil will not reach full temperature until quite some time later (the coolant heats up much faster than the oil). In fact, your best indication of when that engine is up to full temp is when your oil drops BELOW 10 psi at idle. Your fan won't come on until the water temp shows 220 or higher (and even if idling for hours in a traffic jam, it should keep the water temp from ever going over 240).

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I think most here will tell you that their fans never come on while moving, and only come on when it is very hot outside and you are stopped.

There's a fan on these rads? I've never heard mine come on before, even while stuck in stop'n'go traffic.. I wonder if mine is busted? Hmmm