IGNORED

today's TCI project

Hi,

Today's project was to service the blue '84's TCI connections and in the process, to relocate the TCI unit onto the top of the air box, as per accepted VR.org practice and advice.

(I was motivated to do this as my heat sensitive, intermittent, 3k rpm and up misfire under load has become intolerable lately. Cold mornings she'd be miserable / hot afternoons she'd work fine but lately she has been increasingly unhappy even in the afternoons unless its extremely hot. Seemed obvious to me that it was some thermal expansion at a connection somewhere. Likely at the TCI.)

Ok so, after a long struggle, I got the TCI free of the bike. In triumph, I sat down with it and a spare unit, bought on ebay a year or so ago, to compare the numbers on the two units. All numbers printed on the silver label match exactly. However the numbers embossed by numbered punches differ by 1.

My original has 310 punched on its label and the spare unit has 311 punched onto it.

Originally I assumed that the punched numbers were a serial number but ,considering the numbers of these bikes manufactured, it cannot be that I have s/n's 310 and 311. (If that turns out to be the case I'm off to buy a lottery ticket!)

Can anyone tell me what these punched numbers represent and if its significant, should I ever need to swap the ebay unit in as a replacement on either of my '84's?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Yeepers, you're good to go. About anything in the 41R line works on '84 thru what '88 me thinks.

I'm using one from an '86 at the present while I look at changing out a few pieces that look like they need to go away in the origininal '84. A regular little science project.

Just call me Sparky.

About the part numbers of the TCI, if the first series of numbers match don't sweat the following numbers which could be revision or production run codes.

TCI relocation as you know is a good idea to correct a bad design issue as it sounds like you already know. The job for me wasn't difficult and the original wiring connects were long enough to reroute to new TCI location on top of the air box without having to make any changes to wiring harness. But, good electrical connection with no resistance across the connection is critical as I found out in Asheville.

Prior to Asheville the bike was running OK with an occasional hiccup or two. On the way to Asheville, towing a trailer the bike started dogging out and running like C**p. Gas mileage dropped to 40 miles per full Tank, (NOT GALLON, the worst mileage I had ever seen). On the way we stopped and put new plugs, added Seafoam in it with no appreciable improvement. Finally made it to Asheville and spent Saturday, Tinkering with it, Picking peoples brains, and scratching my head. Mostly scratching my head.

I did find and replaced a partially cracked intake port plug, with no noticeable improvement.

I also found an exhaust leak at #1 exhaust manifold clamp and tightened that up.

The main thing I did was spend some time cleaning the TCI pins and plugs with CRC contact cleaner and a small wire brush I had in the tool bag.

Then the Muffinman rode the bike and reported that it wasn't right but he believed at least 80% of the problem was spark plug wires breaking down and suggested copper conductor 7mm wires with resistor spark plug boots. Which I haven't done yet.

But, keep in mind Jeff did not ride the bike before the tinkering and only had my description to compare to. I did not ride the bike again until we loaded up on Sunday to head back to Atlanta. On the way back the bike ran much much better, gas mileage improved to around 38 mpg with some minor popping on deceleration and spark plug wire ticking on what sounded like #1 and #3 cylinders. However, I was happily impressed with the increased acceleration, power and Gas mileage performance.

When I got back to Atlanta I replaced the air filter, which was overdue. Things got remarkable better. Gas mileage improved to over 40 miles per gallon and the acceleration improved so dramatically that it was like riding a whole new bike.

Moral of the story; Pay attention to TCI electrical connection health and Carb air intake. The first gens are very unforgiving if things aren't right in those areas.