IGNORED

Yamaha Venture 1990

Guest mdhasson

Guest mdhasson

I am the new (and proud) owner of a Yamaha Venture 1990.

I live in Bryan, TX, north of Houston. Would you let me know the name

of a good Venture mechanic in the area of Bryan - College Station

for future maintenance of the bike.

Thank you.

Maurice.

First off Welcome from Canada and congrats to you on the purchase. If you have a digital camera we all love pictures. (some may jump on you as this is about the only rule here other than its a family site.)

Anyway not sure your mechanical skill, but for general maintenance just ask the question and people will help guide you through. OR if you prefer to let someone else do the work I hope someone will give you the name of a mechanic in your area.

So Welcome and don't be shy.

Brad

Good luck finding anyone who will work on our old bikes.

You are I hope :willing to learn how to do your maintenance.

This is the best way to get it done right.

I have to say you should not own an older bike or older car unless you are willing to put the time necessary into keeping it running.I see post here and on other sites where folks complain about shops,and technicians ability to work on old bikes . Well they are in the business of selling bikes not keeping your old one running. There is no up side to training technicians in repairing old bikes.

The best thing IMHO is to learn how to do it YOURSELF,all the little things, you will feel much better and more satisfied with the end result.

If you have to pay to have everything done for you ;;;; you better have a fat wallet, and be willing to have the bike down ,, in the shop most of the time. THATS HOW THEY SELL NEW BIKES. Which is a good thing for most riders who are mechanical challenged.

Bill P

Don't know any mechanics in Houston. Start with the dealers, check out the local shops in your area. You'll find a few that will work on it; most will do the basics without complaint; tires, brakes, but you might have problems with carbs & valves. Ask who they'd recommend if they don't do it.

Welcome.

I would agree that its tough to get a good wrench now adays. But ask anything here....we mean anything.

You will get help with any question.....if I answer any of them...better make sure someone else agrees with me before ya try the fix!!!:rotf:

There are many folk here who know these bikes and do everything themselves.

Many places dont like to work on bikes more than 10 yrs old even my buddy mechanic friend admitted this. Youll probably be your best mechanic with help from here. Theres alot of good people that know most of the little problems with these bikes probably better then your standard mechanic that doesnt work on these anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

MDHASSON, welcome to a great place and congrats on having the best bike out there.

Don't know any mechs where you are, but have a great mech here in Pasadena. Bought my bike, (93 VR) from him. He has worked on Ventures since they were originally produced, know them inside out, upside down, etc., etc. PM me and I will give you his name.

Bill P, how ya doin'?

Don H.