IGNORED

Broke down at 3 o'clock in the afternoon on a lonesome highway in Texas...Need Advice

LilBeaver

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
Damn, I have a complete charging setup for a Roadstar that I'm sure would have worked for parts and pieces.

Dang...well there ya go...hey what are you doing home?

Picked up the regulator/rectifier this morning and installed it. I also pulled the grounding bolt out cleaned it really well and reinstalled it; it had some corrosion and dirt on it but it was not all that bad. Checked the voltage delivered through the battery leads as well as a few other places and it was around 13.6-13.9V as expected (NOTE: The voltage was rock steady after I cleaned the grounding bolt).

Rode highway speeds for just about 3 hours, circling Lubbock (it is about 32 miles, I wrote down incorrect information earlier). After about 200 miles I pulled into the garage and everything seemed to be fine. Ran some other errands, filled up and am all set to take off before the first sparrow fart tomorrow morning for my trip.

I realize this wasn't a complicated issue but hopefully the information that has been discussed here may be helpful to someone else along the way.

Thank you again for those of you that contributed, it is greatly appreciated.

Rick M. :thumbsup2: (well, I suppose :mustache: is more accurate)

• 2 weeks later...
Rick,

Obviously get a new battery, Ventures are prone to what some of us call sudden death syndome, battery simply pukes for no apparent reason. Now the 1st thing I would do is change the hookup on the driving lights. I always hook mine directly to the battery with it's own fuse and hooked to a relay for switched power.

If the driving lights were installed by a dealer and in accordance with the Yamaha instructions, it's going through the ignition switch, thats a bad choice and needs also to be changed. Dont rule out that the ignition switch isn't going bad either, happens all the time on the older G2's. Look also for the driving lights wire that runs by the fork stops by the upper triple tree for being pinched and arcing out. Make sure also to check and make sure the Regulator/rectifier is working right. Just some random thoughts that I'm throwing out, let us know of your progress and we'll help you get it figured out :happy34:

Geez Squid.

Did you forget anything?:Laugh: