IGNORED

Any Computer Guru's?

I need a few things for my new laptop running Vista home edition 32 bit.

1. A good USB serial cable adapter with drivers.

2. A terminal emulator program like hyper terminal or something else.

3. Will dos box run older programs?

I'm trying to get the new laptop doing all I can. Tired of carrying two laptops just to maintain communications gear in the field. Now I got three computers on the truck.

I need a few things for my new laptop running Vista home edition 32 bit.

1. A good USB serial cable adapter with drivers.

2. A terminal emulator program like hyper terminal or something else.

3. Will dos box run older programs?

I'm trying to get the new laptop doing all I can. Tired of carrying two laptops just to maintain communications gear in the field. Now I got three computers on the truck.

Any computer store should have the cable

I use PuTTY for my terminal program when I'm forced to use Windows

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

I never heard of Dos Box. I just downloaded the Mac OS X version. Ask them about support.

I just setup Dos Box on my Mac. Wow, what a flash back to the 80's and early 90's. It's been that long since I worked in DOS on a regular basis. These days when I'm in a command line OS it's Linux or other *nix variant.

It reports as Dos 5.0 so it should run older software as long as the software isn't to complex. They report that they are still working on getting it able to run all Dos software. The real trick may be getting Dos Box to recognize your USB port. This is difficult for many emulators.

I been reading that several usb serial cables are not vista supported. I was hoping somebody has tested one with vista. Most of the software I run is windows only programs but we still service equipment using dos based software.It seems the two way radio vendors are all wrapped up with Microsoft.