IGNORED

engine cuts out at 6000 RPM

Guest john castaldi

Guest john castaldi

Lately I've noticed that my 83 cuts out at 6500, like it has a rev limiter. When it does this, the tach drops to zero until you let off the gas. No load, or 1st gear the same symptom.

I havent torn into checking the wires or the TCI or anything yet, it still runs and drives fine. Any quick ideas? I'm sure its electrical since the tach drops like that.....

PS I didn't see many Ventures at Wildwood NJ.....

It does sound electrical. If it were me, I would pull the TCI out and bake it, and then crack it open and check for loose solder joints. While it is out, I would also clean any and all electrical connections that I could reach including those under the left side cover.

First thing I would do is Install a new set of PLUGS.

Remove the Plug caps, and measure the resistance thru them, should be 5000 ohms + or -.

Screw out both ends of each plug wire, and nip off about 1/4 inch, and reinstall.

Drain your Gas Tank, at the Petcock on right side, Empty it !!,

Add some new gas, and 1/2 can of HEET, make sure not water in tank.

Drain all four Carb Bowls, and let fuel pump run some gas thru them.

Also run 1/2 can of Sea Foam thru 2 or 3 tanks, this might clear it up.

Find the 5 wire plug, left side, that goes from Ignition pick up coils, too the TCI. ( about where you left knee rides ) open this plug, and clean contacts, This plug is a common trouble point.

If all above does not help, then remove TCI, remove cover, dry it out, resolder connections to circuit board. Clean the contacts on both plugs, male and female. ( all old 1st gens need this done irregardless of any other factors) ( to remove moisture, put unit in Oven at about 110 deg F. for couple of hours )