IGNORED

Middle gear spring holder-Big Dudes bike

Split the cases on Big Dudes motor tonight to replace the damper cam. We pulled the driven axle and replaced the damper cam. At the time I ordered parts, I also ordered a new "holder" that the spring seats against on the opposite end. Checking the one that was in there against the new one, there is an 1/8" difference between the two. The existing one is wider between the bearing seat and the spring seat, therefore compressing the spring more than the new one. This part # (2we-17524-00-00) is the same for Ventures and VMaxxes from 83 to present. I wonder if the extra 1/8" compression on this already stiff spring would not allow the damper cam to do its job and rotate in the pinion under extreme duress as happened in his case when he hit second gear hard and split the damper cam?

Part on the left was in the motor, one on the right is the new one.

Any guesses?

Are there Signs of someone being in the Motor before ?

You know, two Sorts of Sealer on the Casing, Scratches inside the Motor, something like that ?

The 2WE Parts Number cannot be the Part for all V4's from '83 on. I believe, the 2WE Model hit the Market in '86 or '87 or so, therefore, if this Number should go into a '83 Venture, it's NOW that this Part should be used, but it couldn't be used in '83. The originally used Part in the Venture was superseded with the Vmax Part. This could probably go along with a different Spring, most likely with a different Spring Rate.

'Morning Squeeze, I see you're in front of the TV watching F1 practice this afternoon (for you!)...... If I were you I would be at the race course!!

So, to understand the parts fiche, which has the same # thruout, they have changed the number even back to the 83's? And you are correct, black rtv was found on the case mating surfaces, bear to clean out of the screw holes and everywhere without getting any in the case........

We will use the new part, no sense to stay with the old. Will using the same spring be a problem? No way to tell spring rate on this one without a new one to check it against.

Does anyone need a deep-sea weight for their fishing line? I'll send you the old one!!!!

'Morning Squeeze, I see you're in front of the TV watching F1 practice this afternoon (for you!)...... If I were you I would be at the race course!!

So, to understand the parts fiche, which has the same # thruout, they have changed the number even back to the 83's? And you are correct, black rtv was found on the case mating surfaces, bear to clean out of the screw holes and everywhere without getting any in the case........

We will use the new part, no sense to stay with the old. Will using the same spring be a problem? No way to tell spring rate on this one without a new one to check it against.

Does anyone need a deep-sea weight for their fishing line? I'll send you the old one!!!!

Hey, I'm still in the Office running this Months Pay Roll and other freakin' stupid administrative Things for making Uncle Fritz happy... No Way watching F1 on TV, and much less Chance for being there. I've to rely on TV Replay tonight.

Just checked the Parts# for the Spring, They're all the same, just as the "Holder" Number.

I think there's nothing harmed when using the old Spring. The Way the Setup works, there has a Lot of Force to be applied until the Driven Cam disengages.

That's a very uncommon Scenery here. I smell a little japanese Rat. To me, it looks like they made the Holder too big in '83 and put too much Preload on the Cam. Once they acknowledged that, they quitely changed the Holder Piece to the Vmax Parts and forget to tell anybody... If the '83 Part would have been changed or "normally" superseded, there would be something like "(replaces 41R 17524-00-00) to be read in Text.

Yep, I'm just going to put her back together with the new holder. Something told me when I put the parts list together to order one. We'll have it back together tomorrow afternoon and I'll help him next week to get it back in and running.

Is it not the spring that puts the pressure on the infamous thrust washer?

Could this be part of the 2nd gear fix Yamaha did, reducing spring pressure along with upgrading the thrust washer? :scratchchin:

RandyA

Right Randy, this Spring is giving the Pressure to the Thrust Washer. Maybe this was their main Goal, but why do this "secretly", Sort of ....