IGNORED

Clutch Help 2nd Gen Needed

Here's the background. 1999 RSV 2nd gen, 115.000 miles. Orginal clutch. I was going up a mountain, lost 5th gear, downshifted to 4th, lost it, lost all gears by the top of the mountain. Was able to get bike in neutral. Seemed to still shift.

Replaced the clutch housing, boss, gears. Started in neutral and put in first gear (as far as I know). Released the clutch to see if bike would go forward. Surged like it was in fifth gear and died. Now clutch lever is locked and will not pull in and can't shift gears.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Yes, I replaced the frictiond discs and springs. Basically, everything from the clutch housing unit (or Primary Driven Gear as Yamaha calls it) out, except for the push rods and magnetic ball in the rod.

Should pull then. Barring a transmission failure. It sounds like something came loose and got her all bound up. print out the parts blowup of the clutch basket and start to disassemble. Your gonna have to anyway to get to the driven side of the clutch out so you can try the trans by hand turning the input with your hand or suitable tool to see if you have an internal trans problem. any noise or funky odors when she laid down. as a second thought some on here have said that if you use the oils marked fuel saving or something like that. it has friction modifiers in it that will eat up our wet clutches. May want to check the oil container from the last service.

Thanks for everyone's help. I disassembled clutch. Apparently, either from haste or the heat, I replaced push rod 1 at the incorrect step. Thus, when I went to clutch, push rod 1 and the internal ball came out. I pulled the pressure plate, shove ball and rod in, which was obviously met with great resistance at this point, put the pressure plate back on, sealed it up, and all appears to be well.

Now to reattach horn and muffler bolts and take for a test ride.

Thanks again. You guys are the greatest. I travel all over the country and find only about 1 in 5 Yamaha dealers have a service department that knows what they're talking about.