IGNORED

Blue Ridge Parkway Camping?

FROG MAN

Have you ever camped on the BRP? I'm talking about the primitive No Water or Electricity Camps etc. Sounds like a different experience for the kids. Are the higher elevation temperatures cool at nights even in August? What about cell phone coverage along the Parkway?Mamamo is making a menu and packing the Coleman tent and stove.She might even take a dutch oven.:cool10::cool10:

Last Labor Day week I rode my bike down from Mass to Florida via Skyline Drive and Blueridge PkwyI camped everynight at the campgrounds along the way.The cell phone coverage is bad I had to go down the mountain to call people but the campgrounds are great they have running water and clean bathrooms I would like to do it again sometime soon. I have pics of some of the campgrounds one morning I woke up and there were 4 deer walking past my tent it was so cool.I cannot download the pics for some reason if you would like to see them E-Mail me at tufftom4@hotmail.com and I will send them.

TOM :thumbsup:

Edited by tufftom4

Hey Gerald, we know some great places both on and near the parkway. Our favorite is Carolina Hemlocks State Park in the valley below Mt Mitchell. It is on Highway 80 going toward Burnsville, NC. It is a great place for kids if they like to swim and is a great place to snorkle. They have hot showers, but no electricity at the camp sites.

There is another place just up the mountain from Cherokee, NC. It is part of a Parkway extension road. The road is just like the parkway and goes about 8 miles across the crest of the mountains north east and dead ends. It has running water and bathrooms, but no electricity, It is very nice, but very remote. If I get a chance, I will do the coordinates on Google Earth. There is also some camping at Mt Pisgah that only has water with bathrooms, but no electricity.

As you get closer to your trip, let us know and we may have more info.

Great pictures Tom. The pavillion you showed is also on highway 80, on the other side of the parkway going to Marion, NC

Randy

I've been thinking about taking a 2 or 3 day camping trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway sometime this year. That might be a good meet & eat for the members that don't mind sleeping in a tent. I know my son would love it....:2cents: