IGNORED

Installing Driving lights

I found on ebay a set of Yamaha lights, bought them and installed them w/o doing my homework.

First - didn't know I should leave the switch in line

Second - didn't know I should have put a relay in line

Third - and most importantly, I didn't know what the hell I was doing

Now, 3 days later, they are switched, they are fed with a 30 amp lighting relay and most importantly the GREEN wire going to the turn signals IS NOT a system GROUND.

All it does is make the driving lights and turn signal alternate flashing. That may not be a bad thing but I opted to fix it.

After having the front off the bike 3 times in as many days, I'm afriad to walk by with an allen wrench in my for fear one of the front pieces will just automatically fall off.

All in all it was a VERY learning experience - Thank you guys for the help and instruction :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Yeah Bob there is definitely two different chains of thought when wiring AC or DC. Even though the Black in a house circuit is connected to the ground buss it's considered a Common wire.

Anyway are far as splitting the faring, I don't think I've ever done anything in the faring without taking it apart at least twice. If you mounted the running lights as Yamaha has them it's even a bigger pain to split the faring.

A lot of people never get enough nerve to split the faring.

I guess you putting the running lights on is a typical guy thing, don't read the instructions until after you're finished. (So you think):rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

BOO

I found on ebay a set of Yamaha lights, bought them and installed them w/o doing my homework.

First - didn't know I should leave the switch in line

Second - didn't know I should have put a relay in line

Third - and most importantly, I didn't know what the hell I was doing

Now, 3 days later, they are switched, they are fed with a 30 amp lighting relay and most importantly the GREEN wire going to the turn signals IS NOT a system GROUND.

All it does is make the driving lights and turn signal alternate flashing. That may not be a bad thing but I opted to fix it.

After having the front off the bike 3 times in as many days, I'm afriad to walk by with an allen wrench in my for fear one of the front pieces will just automatically fall off.

All in all it was a VERY learning experience - Thank you guys for the help and instruction

The ONLY thing I know about electricity is that it works under the principle of SMOKE.. especially in electronics.. and it's an expensive smoke.. if you let any of it escape it costs a lot to replace it.. the more smoke that escape, the more it costs to get it all back in.. Yeah? try it some day.. forget all that fancy shmancy schooling stuff.. it's all about the smoke.. trust me..

Today I installed the extension block to move the highway lamps away from the fairing so that now I can remove it without having to remove the bar first.. nice eh? I have to apologize but I can't remember who where what I got it from.. but it was from a recommendation from here.. I can't find my thread.. erk.. But it works!

I saw that thread about the extension block but being the cheapskate that I am, I opted to just loosen the mounting bolts a little bit and the fairing comes right off. I know because I did it twice ( maybe 3 times) while I was in the learning process of mounting the driving lights.:innocent-emoticon:

I saw that thread about the extension block but being the cheapskate that I am, I opted to just loosen the mounting bolts a little bit and the fairing comes right off. I know because I did it twice ( maybe 3 times) while I was in the learning process of mounting the driving lights.

Well I must have pooched something up as I needed to remove the block and will try again later.. though the bolts are tight I can't seem to tighten them enough.. risking breaking a bolt or cross threading them not sure.. I'll have to replace the hardware next time.. what a shyte setup for driving lights.. sheesh..