IGNORED

First generation front wheel bearing replacement

Marvin81

I installed a new set of Avon Venoms on my '88 VR and went for a short ride. I feel a vibration over 65 MPH so I came back home and took the front tire and rim to the local stealer to get it balanced. He informed me that the tech said he couldn't balance it because the wheel bearings were worn out and that they needed replacing. At first I figured it was just a ploy to get more money out of me but then I considered that the bike is 21 years old and not being the original owner I don't know just how old the bearings really are. SO I told him I would order the parts since I get all my parts through Flatout and have so far saved a ton of money over the prices that my local stealer has quoted me.

My question is just how dificult is it to replace these bearings and what all parts do I need to order from Flatout to make this repair. Also do I need any special tools to make this repair? Any excuse I can find to get new tools works for me!

As always thanks for all the assitance. MC

No special tools needed (darn it!) need to get seals, etc. Just look at the parts fiche and just order the "wear" items you'll need, like the bearings, dust/grease seals, etc. Not a hard job to do.

Dan

I did the bearings on the '83 last summer. Getting the old bearings out was a PITA. I finally went a bought a bearing puller from Harbor Freight. Coming in from the off side with a drift punch wasn't an option. Getting the new ones seated was a piece of cake...

Edited by Condor

Guest seuadr

i think quite a few motorycles use the same size as an avaliable double dustshield industral bearing. When i got them for the suzuki, they turned out to be 6302's

the size was in the partnumber.. if it's anything the same, yours would be 6303's.

i took them to a local bearing shop and they matched them right up. i paid 3 dollars each for them, instead of 14 dollars each.

if you have a shop near, it'd be worth the trip, imho.

now, as far as removing them, they are no problem( at least i didn't have a problem), they are press fitted in, but you get a punch, put it through the first bearing to the back of the second, and tap one side out, they will pop out fairly easily. then you do the same with the other ( this is of course after you have disassembled the wheel from the bike and pulled the driveshaft and spacers )

to put them back in, find a socket that is the same size or slightly larger than the outside of the bearing, and tap the new ones in. don't need to pound on them, put just a tiny bit of grease on the outside and just tap them. watch to make sure they are seating flat, if you get them cocked and aren't careful, you can scratch the aluminum in the wheel.

:mo money:

Guest seuadr
I wonder how he could tell the bearings were so worn out that he could not balance the tire?

That does not make sense to me.

I changed mine out a while back and I don't remember it being a big deal.

RandyA

my stealership told me the same thing.. i replaced the bearings because they were cheap, and turns out the wheel was warped.(not that i am saying that is the problem here)

i think it's a stock i don't wanna mess with it answer.:o

I don't know what the deal was as to how he "knew" they were bad but the guy behind the counter said the tech told him "he couldn't get it locked in" what ever that means!!!! I don't do wheel balances so I have no idea what all is involved in the process. At first I took it as a way to gouge me for more money...I got a very strange look when I was asked who mounted the tire and I told him I did...HF tire mounting machine...I like new tools...can ya tell? PLUS when I took it to this same stealer last year to install a new rear tire he quoted me one price for the new tire installed so I left it and he called me 2 hours later and said it would be an extra $25.00 since I had a trailer hitch on the bike. THEN to add insult to injury when I went to pick the bike up they had broken a piece out of the footrest for the passenger on the right side saying it was because of the difficulty caused by the trailer hitch. To say I was not happy is an understatement! BTW all of this happened before I was introduced to this site...now I do all my own manitenance...with y'alls help and not only save me a bunch of money but a ton of frustration.

This is the list of parts I am thinking I need to order

93306-30317-00 Bearings 2 each

90560-17233-00 Spacer 1 each

93105-45017-00 Oil Seal SD Type 1 each

341-25846-00-00 Retainer clutch 1 each

93105-45017-00 Oil Seal SDD Type 1 each

90387-17342-00 Collar 1 each

Again..thanks everyone for all your posts and help. Marvin

this is not a hard job and wont take long. there are 2 bearings and two seals it would be worth it to replace the seals also since they must be removed anyway. suspend wheel on blocks and remove seal then spedo drive retainer and clutch (small flat drive with 2 tabs on it) flip wheel over and pop seal .you will need a long punch with a thin shaft and a flat tip to catch edge of brng tap them out from inside out move punch from one side of bearing to the other to drive out evenly so it dosnt bind.a spacer will fall out when brng does. flip over and repeat .make shure holes are clean and smooth clean spacer . lightly oil walls of holl where brngs slide in .also out side of bearing. find a large socket that will fit in side wheel and the out side of brng race it must not contact inner race or brng or it will be damaged.install one side and spacer lightly grease inside of of spacer. place spacer inside wheel and line it up with brng hole .lightly lube hole wall and brng and tap it in . be shure to keep bearings level when starting them and make sure to line up spacer before seating last brng .install spedo drive and retainer and seals . i hope this helps and gets you on the road .:hurts: steve

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the responses. This site is a God's send for shade tree mechanics like myself. I am ordering the parts today to do this fix and I am sure it will go smoothly with all the help y'all gave me today. huge thanks to all of you and happy riding.

Edited by Marvin81
Spelling error