IGNORED

Windshield cleaning

loehring

My windshield is getting pretty hard to see through. I'd rather not replace it right now but I have to do something. Is there some way I can buff it out and make it clear again? Need some advise on what to use and how to apply it.

:beer: Thanks all.

FWIW I'll throw this in...

The Pledge or Plexus is a good way to polish out small scratches in your shield. I would recommend that you first clean it with plain ol' water to get all the bugs and crap off it. Spray the polish on and rub it off in an up and down motion, this will keep swirl marks to a minimum and make it clearer to see through.

There are some plastic polishers as mentioned (Mcguires) but if you dont have a lot of time dont bother. A new windshield can be purchased for about $70 for a 1st gen and $100 for a G2...just $0.02 worth from the peanut gallery.

Guest StevieMac
Use Lemon Pledge (furniture polish) and a microfiber towel to buff it out with. You will be amazed at the results. Hdhtr showed me this trick, it is amazing.

What the heck is a microfibre towel and where do I get one...?

Both the Pledge and the Plexus work well to clean. I seem to have a film on the inside that has started to deteriorate. I can almost scratch it off with my fingernail. It seems like it would polish up much better if I could buff that film off. Has anyone ever delat with that before?

Someone gave me an old windshield. I decided to cut it down. Everything worked great and now I have a short winshield and a tall one. One thing I noticed. I put some duck tape across the old piece I cut off. When I pulled the tape off the coating came with it. I then tried, notice I said tried, to clean that piece of windshield. If the coating is coming off, do like someone else said, go buy a new one. Hope it helps.

Spotsy

Both the Pledge and the Plexus work well to clean. I seem to have a film on the inside that has started to deteriorate. I can almost scratch it off with my fingernail. It seems like it would polish up much better if I could buff that film off. Has anyone ever delat with that before?

run the windshield under hot water it will peel off by it's self, I went through this.