IGNORED

Blu Ridge Parkway advice

jrcain32

My brother and I are planning a trip in late September to the Dragon and on up the BRP. The first stop will be in Robbinsville to stay overnight and hit the Dragon/Cherohala the following day. After a day of fun there we plan to head over to Cherokee late in the afternoon and either stop there for the night or get on the BRP and head north for a few miles, probably Ashville or there about. The next day we will continue north until we decide to turn around and head back toward home. Are there any suggestions, from you who know the area, as what to see and where to eat? I'v been told the best streatch of the BRP is between Cherokee and Ashville. Is this true or have I been mis-led? How 'bout it folks. Let me hear from you...

i've traveled it a few times, nice road but a few things i wish i knew was 1... speed limit was 25 some places and 35 most places. 2... i counted at least nine million deer. well maybe not that many but you get the idea. also saw one black bear. the deer were even out during day. be careful. bob:12101:

I've stayed in Robbinsville a couple of times. Beware - the stretch of Rt. 129 between there and Deals Gap is heavily patrolled for speeders, so if you are inclined to twist the throttle be careful. While you are there you should ty to make time to ride the Cherohala Skyway, it's worth the time.

http://www.cherohala.com/

For those who like a drink, it's a dry county so come prepared. We were able to buy beer at the Tapoco Lodge, one of only a few places permitted to sell. Nothing like a cold one after a nice ride.

http://www.tapocolodge.com/

Any stretch of the BRP you ride will leave you wanting more, so ride what you can and enjoy!

I live about an hour from the BRP at Little Switzerland and my favorite part for the fantastic vista's is the area from Cherokee to Asheville. It is also the highest part of the parkway. I also enjoy the Cherokee area and 441 toward Gatlinburg.

There is an area from Asheville up to Mt Mitchell that has been closed for a while and I am not sure of the opening date. You can check online and mini muffin has some good links memorized. As far as speed limits, the vast majority is 45mph with an occasional drop to 25 or 35, but it usually is not for long. Actually, 45mph is a good mph for the ride.

As far as the closed area above Asheville, I suggest getting off on 70 North and going to Marion, NC via Black Mountain and get on 80 in west Marion. This will bring you out about 16 miles from Mt Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi at 6,684 ft elevation. Just don't go up there if it is raining or foggy, or you will not be able to see your hands when you stretch them out. And, sometimes you can get above the fog and that is really neat. There are also some good places to stay around Little Switzerland that are very motorcycle friendly.

The real trick to enjoying the BRP is to take your time and visit some of the things along the way. There are some beautiful waterfalls and trails and some good color in the fall, but be very careful of the cagers rubber necking and looking at everything but you. There are a lot of places to eat, especially if you get a little off the beaten path.

To me, I think of the BRP as my "Magic Carpet Ride".

RandyA

RandyA

Thanks Randy for some good information. I too think the BRP is something magical, but it's all in my head because I have not been there. I'm looking forward to changing my thought and dreams into reality. (That sounds sissy doesn't it?) I am excited about our trip. I hope I'm not disappointed. I have "tamed" the Dragon and have crossed the Cherohala and I look forward to doing it again also. That is a beautiful part of the country and if I had my choice I would live there someday.

My brother and I are planning a trip in late September to the Dragon and on up the BRP. The first stop will be in Robbinsville to stay overnight and hit the Dragon/Cherohala the following day. After a day of fun there we plan to head over to Cherokee late in the afternoon and either stop there for the night or get on the BRP and head north for a few miles, probably Ashville or there about. The next day we will continue north until we decide to turn around and head back toward home. Are there any suggestions, from you who know the area, as what to see and where to eat? I'v been told the best streatch of the BRP is between Cherokee and Ashville. Is this true or have I been mis-led? How 'bout it folks. Let me hear from you...

James, my brother and I are also planning to ride the BRP in SEPT. should be there around the 9th 10th not sure yet. Going straight to the wall first should be there on the 8th or 9th then spending the next couple weeks in that area, have to go to Wilson and Top Sail Beach to check on some property but plan on spending most of the time riding the parks and small roads. Have to be back to work on the 28th in Albuquerque,NM.

It would be nice to make part of that ride with you and your brother, also planning on meeting other VR Riders along the way, They will know the best places to eat.

Shamue

jrcain32, We just got back from our ride to Deals Gap, CSW, Devils Triangle, Cherokee, Blue Ridge Parkway, Maggie Vally, Pisgah Natioal Forest (great restaurant at the Pisgah Lodge) then back up to Crossville. The Devils Trangle is a better ride than Deals Gap in my opinion but is a little out of the way (best to refer to a Mad Map for TN). The scenery is breathtaking (if you have any left after the Dragons Tail and Devils Triangle). We wanted to do the Witches Knuckle but ran out of time. Good luck and ride safe.

The Blue Ridge Parkway???????Where is it???OH yeah,as I look out my livingroom window I can see it ...If you are in the Marion NC area give me a call and I can line you upm with a couple.....thousand....mile rides.If you enjoyed the Dragon you will love the "Rooster Tail ",my personal preference.And don't let Mt Mitchell scare you in September.If you are lucky you will get to see some of the white stuff...:snow2:

Guest seuadr
i counted at least nine million deer. well maybe not that many but you get the idea. also saw one black bear. the deer were even out during day.

get the black bear to ride with you and i bet the deer will be no problem! :happy65:

get the black bear to ride with you and i bet the deer will be no problem! :happy65:

[ame=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1005215/dare_to_see_footage_of_a_bear_driving_a_motorcycle/]Dare To See : Footage Of A Bear Driving A Motorcycle !!! - Video[/ame]

We just got home from a ten day trip from NW Ark to BRP and we had a blast. First thing is stay in Maggie Valley (Applecover Inn $45 a nite), Cherokee is a run down trash pit. Best to take the BRP and go around it. We didn't see a single cop on the BRP so we set sail on some of the better sections. Very little traffic just slow down through the tunnels. The pavement in the tunnels was wet and felt a little slick. We found some side roads that were more fun than the dragon. South of Wayonsville you will find Hwy 215 and Hwy 276 (north and south of BRP).

The Dragon was ok but the sport bikes cause a lot of problems. Don't even do the Dragon on the weekend, it's best on Mon thru Wed before noon.

If you do the Charahola Skyway add three more things to your list: In Tellico Plains

1 - Have lunch at the Town and Square Cafe. Great pizza!!!

2 - Stop at the visiter center museum. Free and they have cool Dragon T-shirts

3 - Go see Bald River Falls on the west end of the skyway (follow signs). The falls are about six mile off the hwy and you can drive right too them (NO Hiking).

If you stay in Maggie Valley,take a short trip to "Bogart's" in Waynsville for dinner. Really good steak house!!

Hope this helps.

Thanks KK for the info. It has been a long time since we have been to Cherokee and I'm sure it is like most tourist towns. We will probably just pass thru on our way to the BRP. Maybe we will stop in Maggie Valley for the night go from there. I've ridden the Dragon but my brother has not so I'm sure we will have to ride it. The Cherohala is a must. Thanks again and ride safe...

RandyA

Exactly all that Randy said and more. I love those mountains. I just got back from a ride on Memorial weekend to the BRP. My brother and a good friend. We all really had a great time. This was about the third time that I had rode there. You can check out my pictures on this site. Have a safe ride and please take your time. The most of the BRP is 45 mile an hour, and it is strongly enforced.

James

i just got back to my work location from there. i stayed in robbinsville at a place called two wheels in. they even have little garages for the bikes. came in handy since it rained lastnite/this am. yes you should ride the dragon and cherohola is a must. ride it, enjoy it, get the tshirt and then ride the rest of the area.

i love blue ridge parkway. the max speedlimit on brp is 45mph. it will drop to 35mph in a number of places. one of the best things about brp is getting off the bike and checking out the things to do. i suggest doing a bit of research on the brp so that you know where to stop.

there is some great riding so grab a mad map or just plot your own course. i dont think that you will can really go wrong. and most important ... enjoy it!