IGNORED

Zumo 550 is not saying street names. Did I mess up the setting? How do I restore it?

I was hoping for some some help from the Zumo crowd. We are on our first trip with our Zumo 550 and realized today that it is not saying the street name when giving directions. It simply says turn right/left in so many miles/feet.

I thought it was supposed to say the street names and beleive it actually did when I first got it. I have done an update to get the 2010 software. Did I loose this function when I did the update or is there a setting I can change. I have been all through this thing and cant find how to change a setting to restore this function. Does it exist? JR

The link didn't work like I thought it would, so here is the info:

In order to change this setting on the zūmo 550, please follow these steps:

1. In the Main Menu, tap on the Settings icon.
  2. Tap on "Locale"
  3. The second line on this screen has a picture of a mouth. To the right, the current voice for the GPS device is listed. Tap it to change the voice.
  4. Select a voice that is labeled with (TTS) at the end. These voices will speak street names.
  5. Select "OK". The voice has now been changed.

The device should now speak street names.

Thanks for the input. I am using American English-Jill, which says it is TTS. But still no street names are said. I'll keep trying tomorrow.

P.S. Buddy Rich, the cable is installed and so far so good. Works like a charm. Thanks.

JR

Good news. I reset to factory settings and Jill is now talking away like crazy. Thank to everyone who weighed in and helped.

There is alot to learn about this Zumo. It sure is handy though as it led us right to our hotel in the pouring rain. There is no way the navigator behind me could ever have read a map with the way it was coming down. JR

To get the gps to talk thru the speakers or headset you plug a patch cord from the aux out on the gps to the aux in by the tape recorder on the bike. You can get the cord from radio shack. You then select Aux on your radio controller and it will talk to you thru the speakers or headset depending on which one you have selected. You may have to adjust the volume on the GPS to what works best for you. Hope that helps. JR