IGNORED

Another with a gear ? whine!!!!!

Guest 1154

I have an 07 with 11k(6k in miles) this last couple of weeks I have begun hearing what appears to be a pronounced gear whine, at all speeds,

if I close down the throttle it goes away until I throttle up again.

I understand that straight cut gears can whine. But this does seem rather loud. As opposed to the high pitched chirp chirp that I already have which I take to be the clutch. If I didnt know any better it just sounds like it is running dry,obviously not as my oil level is correct.

The rear splines have been done some time ago when I heard the creaking and took it in so I believe I could eliminate that as a cause.

However, before I go see the dealer does anyone have any thoughts.

Try changing the final drive oil. Maybe use a synthetic gear lube, like Mobil 1.

Or, Just go to your dealer and let him know about whine. they have buliten about that. Diler will exchange your clutch basket with "I" Basket and wnin

will be 70-90 % gone. That's what I did with my whine problem. It's Free covered under warranty.

As Denden say, Motorcycle Full syntetic oil will help a bit, not right away, but after 800 miles you'll notice a diference. "Syntetic blend" doesent help a lot. Mobil 1, and Amsoil are strongly recomanded on this site.

Other thing to fight noice is, at last 3/4, or full face helmet with speakers installed and some audio source ( XM radio or i-Pod).

Good Luck :080402gudl_prv:

I always thought it was the high pitched chirping that was connected to the clutch / 'I' basket issue I have read so much on and not the transmission whine(racket) I'm getting... ....I guess I was wrong there eh!.

Interestingly, Denden mentions changing the rear drive oil. I had changed it the previous week or so before the racket started. So I may just change that anyway. I had used Castrol Syntec for about 10 yrs in my BWM RT's rear drives and transmissions without any problems.

Guess we'll see what the dealer has to say.

Thanks for the imput

I mentioned replacing the rear drive oil, because SOMETIMES the whine comes from the rear drive. It is hard to tell. That was the case with my '01 RSV. The dealer will probably replace the clutch basket, first. But there have been more than a few RSV's with a rear drive making noise. My dealer replaced the clutch basket, ended up replacing the rear drive twice, along with a number of other parts, before getting my '01 to be quiet. After 3 weeks in the shop, there was NO whine, no chirp, it just sounded like a motorcycle.

That's why I mentioned trying Mobil 1 gear lube in the rear drive...if it makes it quieter, you will know where the problem is.

I just re-read your last post, you said you replaced the rear drive oil just before it started making noise...what kind of oil did you use? Maybe it has something to do with it.

I have an 07 with 11k(6k in miles) this last couple of weeks I have begun hearing what appears to be a pronounced gear whine, at all speeds,

if I close down the throttle it goes away until I throttle up again.

I understand that straight cut gears can whine. But this does seem rather loud. As opposed to the high pitched chirp chirp that I already have which I take to be the clutch. If I didnt know any better it just sounds like it is running dry,obviously not as my oil level is correct.

The rear splines have been done some time ago when I heard the creaking and took it in so I believe I could eliminate that as a cause.

However, before I go see the dealer does anyone have any thoughts.

Keep us all posted on your outcome. I too am going through the same ordeal. I took it back to the dealer yesterday:080402gudl_prv: and i'm hoping that they know or even can fix this issue. I dont have alot of confidence in the. I will keep you posted also as to what happens with mine.

My '01 doesn't start whining until the bike is hot. The cooler the outside temperature the longer it takes to start whining. Which makes me wonder if it makes sense to install an oil cooler.

Not sure in your case. It might be the grease just breaking down when it gets warm. Hopefully somone will chime in here.

For Denden... The oil I used on the last change (1st one after first service) was UAP/NAPA Premium 80/90 gear oil with a GL 5 rating.

Prior to going to Castrol Syntec I used this UAP oil at every oil change in the BMWs transmission & rear drive for a couple of years at least(every 3,000 miles).I used to run it hard from time to time. No problems with it.

Think I'm going to grab a bottle of the Syntec from Walmart if they still sell it,and put it in and see what happens.

It's gonna be a week before I can get to the dealer 'cos of other stuff.

(who says you slow down on retirement..ha!! well just a bit maybe)

Ventureblue..Yes pls keep me/us informed on your 07.

I bought the blu/black ..great colour.

If I had wanted the sound of a Mack truck transmission I'd have bought one.

For Denden... The oil I used on the last change (1st one after first service) was UAP/NAPA Premium 80/90 gear oil with a GL 5 rating.

Prior to going to Castrol Syntec I used this UAP oil at every oil change in the BMWs transmission & rear drive for a couple of years at least(every 3,000 miles).I used to run it hard from time to time. No problems with it.

Think I'm going to grab a bottle of the Syntec from Walmart if they still sell it,and put it in and see what happens.

It's gonna be a week before I can get to the dealer 'cos of other stuff.

(who says you slow down on retirement..ha!! well just a bit maybe)

Ventureblue..Yes pls keep me/us informed on your 07.

I bought the blu/black ..great colour.

If I had wanted the sound of a Mack truck transmission I'd have bought one.

Yeah me too!!