IGNORED

compare 84 venture to 84 goldwing ; hoping to get some honest feed

I've got an opportunity to get a 84 1200cc venture, I'm a wing rider and know nothing about the Ventures but a lot about the Goldwings.

I was hoping to get some honest feed back on differences in performance and how they ride and feel compared to the wingers...............

progress.gif

I rode my '84 Venture Royale for many years. I love the bike. The only reason I got the RSTD is because I wanted to go newer rather than repair and restore the VR. If you get the Venture, you will love it.

I don't know much about the Wing so I can only offer my opinion of the Venture. I believe the Venture has more lean-angle than the Wing. I like the design of the Venture better, too. It always rode like a sport bike even though it's a tourer. It got even better when I put Avon Venom-X tires on it. One time a couple of sport bikes decided to pass me and take the twisties at high speeds. I was in one of "those" moods so I twisted the throttle and caught up to them in a flash. I ran right behind them while they navigated the road turns going very fast. Oh, I was fully loaded with camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, pillows, water container, ground cloth) on the back seat and trunk, bags and trunk were loaded with camp stove, clothes, food, camera, etc. The Venture rode like there was nothing on the back. I was much quieter than the sport bikes, too.

I've got an opportunity to get a 84 1200cc venture, I'm a wing rider and know nothing about the Ventures but a lot about the Goldwings.

I was hoping to get some honest feed back on differences in performance and how they ride and feel compared to the wingers...............

progress.gif

I've had both GL1100 and 1200 GW's in the past. Loved them both. Smooth, good for the long run and no problems that caused me any misery.

When I found my '84 VR I was more comfortable on it as far as riding position. I'm 6'2" and 285 lbs. I find I'm able to ride the VR a little more to the limits as far as handling and feel in control more than I did on the wings.

The weak spots on the '83 & '84 and the early '85's were the 2nd gear issue, and then the weaker stator and the the factory spings in the front forks in all other years. All of which can be fixed and get many years more of these old girls. The motors are almost bullet proof. They don't really come alive until about 4,500 rpm. Then you got your hands full. LOL!

Sounds like you have been around the wings for a while and knowledge is a major factor when owning an older bike. That's why most of us are here. Knowing your bike when it's 25 years old is a plus.

If you go for the VR you'll find a lot of helping hands here and never short of suggestions and advice. No matter what you ride you will always be welcome here.

Mike

I have some affinity to what 5bikes says. The early wings were very dependable-if they were maintained properly. After that they really could be a pain in the a**. I just sold a very respectable 81 GW Interstate that was very well maintained for the most part. I can't say that the Wings are slower since I had the 81' over 100 mph, but they do require more disciplined maintenance.

My cents worth!

:farmer:

I've had both GL1100 and 1200 GW's in the past. Loved them both. Smooth, good for the long run and no problems that caused me any misery.

When I found my '84 VR I was more comfortable on it as far as riding position. I'm 6'2" and 285 lbs. I find I'm able to ride the VR a little more to the limits as far as handling and feel in control more than I did on the wings.

The weak spots on the '83 & '84 and the early '85's were the 2nd gear issue, and then the weaker stator and the the factory spings in the front forks in all other years. All of which can be fixed and get many years more of these old girls. The motors are almost bullet proof. They don't really come alive until about 4,500 rpm. Then you got your hands full. LOL!

Sounds like you have been around the wings for a while and knowledge is a major factor when owning an older bike. That's why most of us are here. Knowing your bike when it's 25 years old is a plus.

If you go for the VR you'll find a lot of helping hands here and never short of suggestions and advice. No matter what you ride you will always be welcome here.

Mike

Thanks mike that helps...... and that quote of George Washingtons is very powerful and holds significant meaning in these troubling times......................

84 Venture will do 115 mph in 3rd gear!!

Whats the use of having 5 gears when you can break the speed limit in second gear?:shock3::rasberry:

I never rode the older wings but I seen a few of them with 200,000+miles on them so that alone tells me they have pretty good motors.

As for the Venture I seen several with 165,000+miles and still on the road.As with any older motor there will be more maintenance involved as long its kept up they will last for many many years. I have the 83 Model and I still pull the front tire off the ground in first & second gear they have that much power for a tour bike(Father of the V-Max motor). I also like the way the Venture handles the road. Just like a sport bike lay the Venture on its side in the curves and almost touch the road and still have control. And as for me the V4 motors are pretty easy to work on due to the open area. Also The GL1800 Wings have went with the Venture design of the Timing chains and valve shim bucket. And I'm really impressed with GL1800's handling on the road just like my 83 Venture but only newer,so That tells me the Venture was way ahead of its time in the 80's.

If Yamaha had done more advertising in the early days and listen to its customer the Venture might been the touring king today instead of the Gold Wing? But theres another story coming soon - Third Gen.Venture XVZ1800?

My wife's cousin had an 84 wing and there were no comparison on accelleration. My 1200 would walk away from his. His was also a lot harder to work on compared to my Venture. He had what I thought should have been easy maintenance and had to have the engine pulled to fix it. I think it was the stator.

Being inseam challenged, I found the wing too wide where I wanted to put my feet down.

RandyA

If the 2nd gear issue has been addressed, and also check the frame for cracks around the Swing arm Pivot bearings. Those two issues are the biggies.

But due to age, if its been sitting a long time, it will need a lot of work, if you are up to it. Also, dealers don't want to have anyting to do with these old bikes, so most likley you will be on your own, ( except from help from this web site )

Figure on spending 600 to 1200 for parts, and basic upgrades.

Stator, clutch, carb overhaul, Dry Cell battery, replace bat cables, maby a new seat, New tires, Brake rebuild, fork spring replacement, maby fuel pump, and regulator unit. Clutch master, and slave cylinder rebuild.

If its an " In Service Bike " and the owner can detail whats been done to it, so much the better. But pick his brain as to service work it has had in the last 5 years.

I had an 84 Wing prior to my 83 Venture, the Wing was trouble free the entire time I owned it, nothing but tires, brake pads, but I never really liked it even though it did everything pretty well. The Venture has also been been fairly trouble free although lately at 89,000 it's needed a few things and they do have some issues as others have mentioned. Watch out for the stator on the Wing, I never had to replace but it is very expensive to have done, over $1000, also timing belts, as they will destroy motor if they break. I had the Wing for 3 years and have had the Venture for 9 so that shows my preference.

If you are buying a Venture that is pre 86 there is a 2nd gear blow-out issue. Unless the Owner has documented proof the problem from the factory was repaired assume it's bad or will go bad on you in short order. It's a $2900.00 job to have it repaired at a dealer that has competent enough mechanics to work on older bikes and engine internals.

So make that a part of your price. I got my really good condition 83 for $800.00 because 2nd was just starting to go out. The PO was asking $2800.00 for it, when I came back to him with the estimate for repair he was very upset but called me 2 days later asking what I would offer.

You can ride the bike without 2nd. but you can also find an 86 or newer for not much more than the 83-85 and not have to deal with the major issues. I love my 83, but I knew what I was getting into and I have a full service shop available to me. I can tear down an engine and transmission and rebuild it. If you dont, pick a year that does not have any known very expensive problems.

That said, I have yet to find a Goldwing that can keep up with me. Heck most harleys cant keep up in the twisties.

If you are buying a Venture that is pre 86 there is a 2nd gear blow-out issue. Unless the Owner has documented proof the problem from the factory was repaired assume it's bad or will go bad on you in short order. It's a $2900.00 job to have it repaired at a dealer that has competent enough mechanics to work on older bikes and engine internals.

So make that a part of your price. I got my really good condition 83 for $800.00 because 2nd was just starting to go out. The PO was asking $2800.00 for it, when I came back to him with the estimate for repair he was very upset but called me 2 days later asking what I would offer.

You can ride the bike without 2nd. but you can also find an 86 or newer for not much more than the 83-85 and not have to deal with the major issues. I love my 83, but I knew what I was getting into and I have a full service shop available to me. I can tear down an engine and transmission and rebuild it. If you dont, pick a year that does not have any known very expensive problems.

That said, I have yet to find a Goldwing that can keep up with me. Heck most harleys cant keep up in the twisties.

Wow that's good to know about the 2nd gear issue, I think I've got enough to go on now. Can't thank everyone enough for the good information, If this bikes has had the 2nd gear issue addressed it sounds like it's a go... I like the idea of a thinner, sportier, quicker bike.

Edited by pugetsoundsailer