IGNORED

1st Gen trunks

cmor

If memory serves me right, there was a problem with the '83 to '85 trunks cracking.

I think there was a fix for this.

I'm sure there are a few members who could remember what the fix was.

Also has anyone figured out a way to put a string/cord/something to stop the trunk from opening to far.

Seems I can't shake my Venture roots. Even with the Nomad I need Venture parts on it. The venture trunks fits extremely well and does inprove the looks.

:thumbsup:

Cmor

My 85 had the bottom crack from side to side all along the front edge of the bottom, So a previous owner used fiberglass matting and generous amounts of resin and hardner to firm things up. When I had the trunk repainted this past winter the guy doing the work drilled small holes and reinjected the resin and hardner in the places where it looked like the 10 year old fix was coming apart a bit (small area only) and then he sanded everything down and refinished again to look like new.

To prevent the lid from going over too far, I usually just put my helmet in the pillion seat, but I do know of some ppl that have gone to home depot and found some funrniture cabint hardware to hold a desk lid open and made it work.

Brian

I believe the "fix" was a rubber washer above and below the mounting bolts on the chrome carrier... easily accomplished in a home garage... but even the later year models showed a tendency to develope cracks at the lower corners and around the bolt locations.

Why do people want to fix ABS plastic with fiberglass? Would it not be better to fix it with ABS epoxies, welders and backings? It has always worked for me.

A lot of people don't know that they are dealing with ABS. I use ABS Weld and glass roving. Same result, but not nearly as messy... And.... All ABS cracks eventually... :)