IGNORED

Value of a safety/rules talk

dynodon

A week ago last saturday, I was leading a group of about 8 bikes to Indiana from Central IL. Star 242 actually. On I-74 between Champaign and Danville.

We were 2 second staggered in right lane at about 68 mph clear day, nice riding weather.

Cars coming up fast in left lane, so we were almost totally covered on the left with cars, and in the distance I see the biggest "gater" (truck tire tread) I have ever seen almost totally blocking the middle 2/3 of the left lane. Car drivers don't see it I guess, they keep coming on.

I get on the radio, holler for single file, and "pull far right, obstruction in the left lane, watch out for cars coming into our lane!" Or something like that! I also gave the single file signal (one finger straight up above my helmet).

I was happy that our group behaved as one, got on the white line. I maintained speed, there wasn't time to slow significantly, and I didn't want too many instructions to confuse things.

The cars saw the gater with almost no time to spare and went BOTH directions, coming close, but not hitting any of our group.

I was real proud to have been part of several safety talks over the past couple of years, making sure everyone knew the signals and rules.

At one point this year I was going over the "rules" before a ride and one of our group seemed peeved at my taking the time to go over stuff they had heard a dozen times. I ignored this person and went on. Safety is something I take seriously.

So have meetings before rides, help new people understand the rules, and go over the signals from time to time.

On this day, a fast reaction probably saved some lives or skin.

I hope the cages appreciated how our bikes knew the danger before they did, and helped them through the situation safely.

IMHO there can never be enough emphasis placed on safe riding techniques when YOU are the Ride Captain or Team Leader. Folks tend to get caught up in the fever of the "ride" and a good short lecture helps to bring most everyone back to reality. Ya done good and your riders owe you that!

Boomer........who takes being a Ride Captain serious.....and has a very low tolerance for stupidity on the road. (Sorry folks but road safety is no joking matter).

Would you please either type them out or post a link to these "rules". Folks who don't know them might be well served to have them "in front of them" and read them a few times. Speaking for myself, I don't ride in groups a lot so a good refresher of these rules would be handy. I led our M&E ride last Saturday and seeing this post makes me think "I should have done that".