IGNORED

bottoms out

steveO47

I have a 84 Venture Royal everytime I hit a bump in the road it feels like the front shock bottoms out. Maybe low on oil it the front shocks ? just dont know anything about it just bought it last Saturday they have plenty of air in them. Any ideas?

My 85 used to do that too, even when i would fill the tubes full of air. Over the winter I was talked into having progressive springs installed and what a difference!!!! THe bike never bottoms and handles far better at highway speeds also, and I havnt had any air in the tubs yet. When Rocket installed my progressives he left the preload spacer out as he and I thought it would make the bike too high in the fron, and I like it. If I remeber the springs were somewhere between 60 -80 bucks depending on where you get them.

Brian

Steve,

Only you can decide if its safe to ride with the springs in the condition they are. With it bottoming out there is the potential for a loss of control after hitting a pothole or other obstacle. However if you know the roads you'll be on and can prepare for any bumps then you'll probably be OK. My 84 was doing the same thing -bottoming out on rough roads and in particular a bridge that I crossed often. The progressives were easy to install and relatively cheap $75.00 Canadian and made a big difference. I used half the spacer included and run with 7-8lbs of air. The only special tool needed is a 17mm allen socket.