IGNORED

Pulled my driveshaft tonight

whozleft

First os all I want to thank all of you that post the how to's and such on this site. it gave me the courage to pull the rear wheel off and then the driveshaft out tonight. You can officially count me as a member of the DRY driveshaft club. It was dry as a bone on both ends. Now to be honest, I could see where there had been something there at one time. But it couldn't have been much. I am wondering if they don't just put some assembly lube on the things when they first install them and call it finished. But it's greased up and back together now. My wife helped me get the shaft lined up and we got it in position the first try. Tomorrow I need to go get some new lube for the pumpkin and then I'll put the pipes and bags back on and take her for a ride.

Thanks again for giving me the confidence of doing this kind of thing myself. I did have my computer on just in case I had questions or problems during the process. I knew someone would be around to answer them for me.

Ride safe and I am looking forward toseeing all of you huys that are going to MD at Don's.

+1

I've spent a lot of money on things I found here. Mostly comfort and safety stuff that make my rides all the better. I've probably paid for most or all of it with money saved by doing a lot of things myself (with the help of this site).

My thanks to Don, the mods, and everyone who has taken the time to post a question, give an opinion, or write a tech article.

Doug

No the shaft didn't fail. I just wanted to add driveshaft maiantenance to the list of things I have done. When you read about eveyone finding the shafts completly un-lubricated, it makes no sense to not check it once in awhile. Any time you have gears meshing, there should be some type of lubrication on them. In this case a good Moly grease. Actually this will become one of those things I do maybe once a year if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Good News. As george said you can now brag to those Hardley riders. "Oh I did that myself, I'm not paying a Stealer to do something that simple!!!!" And when they start asking you questions tell them "I don't work on Junk!!"

And jump on bike and get away they can't catch you!!!:rotfl::rotfl:

Really that is good news. You will be surprised what you can do once you get over the fear of trying and there is always help here waiting.

I didn't decide to buy my 88 until I saw this site. I knew with the help of the good people here. I could get it straightened out.The seafoam tips have saved me from a troublesome carb cleaning. The step by step on taking the wheels off with the bike up on the center stand is great too.