IGNORED

Not bike related...

a1bummer

Our kids started going to this school last fall. It's come to my attention that if anything is needed for their assignments, the school won't give the supplies to the kids unless they pay for it. These assignments are mandatory and if they don't pay for the supplies they will fail. Last I checked, the law stated that our kids were entitled to a free education. We pay our taxes to cover things like this and now we get to pay for it a second time. Feels like extortion to me. Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Thanks, Bill

A few years ago when my kids were in high school they were always coming home with something to sell. My daughter was on the dance line and came home selling candy bars for $1.00. When it was time to turn in the money she asked me for $19.00. I asked why and she said because we ate 19 candy bars. Later I contacted the superintendent to ask if I could quote on the school insurance the next time they took bids. He said, " We don't want to get into that right now." So the next time any of my kids were asked to raise money for the school I told them to tell the superintendent that their dad said "He doesn't want to get into that right now."

Don't know about where you all are but around here the states are cutting the school budget. Which means all that stuff you paid for with your taxes is just being sent elsewhere. Can't blame the schools for what the state isn't giving them. We sold fruit and candy and whatever for our kid. She was in marching band and concert band. I also buy from the kids selling still. We live in a fairly poor county tax base wise so the school never has enough for anything they need.

Margaret

If you think that is extortion wait till they get to college, it only gets worse!! Craig

LOL! I know exactly what you mean. I'm in college right now working on a Nanoscience Technology degree.

I can see raising money for the extra curricular activities. But these are the regular classes I'm talking about. Law says schooling is mandatory and that they are entitled to a free education.

I see some extra curricular activities are being cut. It really bugs me when I see teachers being cut BEFORE the extra curricular activities. These activities are great, but our kids education should come first.:2cents:

Don't mean to start anything,BUT, go into your kids school and ask that teacher how much in the way of supplies for your child comes out of her pocket! I know nobody gives a damn as long as it isn't comming out of their pocket! When you look around that room and see things hanging on the walls (artwork, posters, learning aids, etc) down here in Georgia they came out of the teachers pocket. When little Johnny comes to school without paper, or needs another pencil where do you think they come from--- want a clue. Sorry your offended that you have to but him a set of crayons, but why don't you go and ask the teacher how you can help out! I wonder if you'd be happy with the education your willing to pay for!!!! Now I feel Better!!!

When my sons were in Grades 4-8 it was a constant chore to keep up with what they needed for school supplies. I did go to their school to find out what the deal was. When I saw all that their Teacher's were buying with their own money I complained no more. I and many other parents banded together to do car wash fund raisers for school supplies. Had a hell of a great time considering it was only 3 hours every Saturday. We turned the $$$ over to the Teachers and off to Wal_Mart they went to get all the supplies they needed.

Boomer.....who got yelled at for ogling and drooling at the wimmen with wet shirts at the car wash events.:crying:

It is not that we don't pay enough taxes, it's that so much of the money is wasted on the higher up's and also wasted on stupid stuff.

Several years ago one of the school districts in our area was paying close to $700,000.00 on cell phone coverage. It seems everyone that worked for the school district had to have a cell phone. They justified it by saying they had to be able to get in touch with everyone in case of emergency!

Jeff

My wife is a teacher. If you only knew how much money and time is wasted on stuff like "water safety day" you'd go postal.

I remember a school board meeting once when I was in High School (a very long time ago). There was a millage on the ballot. The board voted to cancel bus service if the millage failed. The board also approved the purchase of 2 school buses.

Often the money is going to something other than educating the kids. When the money gets short the cutbacks hit where THE PARENTS will feel the pain.

It is not that we don't pay enough taxes, it's that so much of the money is wasted on the higher up's and also wasted on stupid stuff.

Several years ago one of the school districts in our area was paying close to $700,000.00 on cell phone coverage. It seems everyone that worked for the school district had to have a cell phone. They justified it by saying they had to be able to get in touch with everyone in case of emergency!

Jeff