IGNORED

Ride to Mackinaw

KDFranzen

We are planning a four day ride around Lake Michigan. Looking for anyone else interested in going or people that can recommend some good routes. The plan is to leave on June 26 in the morning and get to Mackinaw sometime that evening. Stay there for Saturday and then head to the U.P. and over to Wisc.. Stay somewhere in Wisc. sunday nite and finish the trip on monday. We live near Joliet Illinois. Let me know if you would like to join us somewhere along the trip or if you have suggestions on routes. Thnx. Kevin and Deb

If you are going North along the shore on 31. Just 3 miles North of Petoskey is 119 North and it follows the shore to Cross Village (nice riding). AT Cross Village you take C66 east to 81 North. 81 North goes to the lake and becomes Wilderness Park Dr. Go East into Mackinaw City. IF you have time go West on Wilderness Park Dr (at 81) into Wilderness State park, it's 8 miles in and 8 miles back out on same road but real nice ride. Been 2 years since I rode it but enjoyed it. Just beware when you pop out of the woods and the road turns at the sand dunes, watch out for sand on the curves. Just and Idea. Have fun.

We rode from St. Paul to Mackinaw City last Fall. There is only one road across the UP. I suggest you use that one. If you have the extra time head up to Whitefish Point to pay your respect at the Maritime Museum and the Edmund Fitzgerald. From Mackinaw into Wisconsin your not going to get much past Marinette, WI. The speeds across the UP are a bit slow. But the views of the lake are excellent.

Here are my videos as we crossed the Mighty Mac http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28248

Here's the details of our trip including a google map link for our route and the sight seeing advice other offered. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26310

great ride guys my wife and i did it last year 3 days from traverse city down through chicago then back up to the up we stopped in munising for the night and took the very best glass bottom shipwreck tour then headed home this year were doing 5 days around lake superior!:big-grin-emoticon:

CHERRY PIE!!!!!!!!!!!! Make it a point to stop at the Pie Company in Traverse City for a big slice of thier would famous cherry pie. I saw this on the Food Channel several years ago so the wife and I planned a 800 mile round trip to get a slice.:thumbsup2: Oh ya if you ride the Tunnel of trees along the coast there is a great place that serves polish food on the north end. Have a safe trip.

VERY NICE AREA - all of it!! Just a couple quick notes that may or may not be of assistance..

1st - Watch for deer, especially the last hour of daylight and right after dark.. They tend to stir about then and cross roads into their feed areas.. Highway 2 from Wisconson to the bridge is actually a really nice ride and a lot safer than inland further cause a lot of it is beach on one side - deer dont really like beach sand that much.. Esc anaba is really neat - has some pretty interesting maritime stuff..

2nd - ya gotta do the bridge crossing at least once at night and once in daytime, ALWAYS have lots of warm clothes if planning to ride up yonder - it can be 70 here in the lower and 40 up there ANYTIME!! Then a little nite ride and your frost bit..

3rd - We are having a MAJOR issue with skeeters this year and I suspect black flies will follow soon.. Keep bug dope handy!!

4th - Because of the xtra rains and snows that we had this year (also why our skeeters are terrible) our pot holes are xtra xtra bad - keep a weathered eye peeled!!

Have a great trip and enjoy our states!

'Puc

If you are going to be traveling across US 2 beware of a the sand all over the road -- it can't really be avoided there are some areas that it is everywhere.

I always preferred to cross the UP on M-28 (but I lived in Marquette, so I had reason to drive the extra distance north anyways -- so this may be out of the way depending on how much scenery you want to cover, etc.). I would take I75 to Highway 123 (exit 352), and if you have a few extra hours -- the drive on Highway 123 - up to Tahquamenon falls is a nice drive, but 123 runs into M-28. etc. Then, depending on how much time you have/are willing to take the ride up and around the Keweenaw (Up to copper harbor) is, in my opinion, well worth it. (M-28 to US 41 to M-26) etc.

There is A LOT of beautiful scenery in the UP and you won't be dissapointed no matter which way you go.

As mentioned, but it is worth mentioning again -- especially for the UP... It may be warm in the day but as soon as that sun starts going down, it will get cold so definately be prepared with your cold gear...

Lastly, on a night with a full moon [my favorite up there] you'll be able to see almost as well as you can in the daytime -- but if it is a new moon, it is dark and the deer hide well...

I've put many many miles on in the UP and there are all sorts of terrific places to ride -- Enjoy it!! I know I did

:happy34:

We are planning a four day ride around Lake Michigan. Looking for anyone else interested in going or people that can recommend some good routes. The plan is to leave on June 26 in the morning and get to Mackinaw sometime that evening. Stay there for Saturday and then head to the U.P. and over to Wisc.. Stay somewhere in Wisc. sunday nite and finish the trip on monday. We live near Joliet Illinois. Let me know if you would like to join us somewhere along the trip or if you have suggestions on routes. Thnx. Kevin and Deb

This is probably out of your way......but if you have the time, the scenery from Sault Ste. Marie to Wawa Ontario is absolutely amazing! You would thoroughly enjoy this ride. Great hills, running by Lake Superior almost all the way, it is one of my favourites. If you have the time, it is time very, very well spent.:thumbsup2:

randy