Would that work for a V4?

That's what I'm trying to find out.. I bought it last year to mount on the RSV but then got deployed and forgot all about it when I got back.. I dropped them an email and their response was basically "We don't know, but let us know if you do get it working on a v4 engine"..

.... I dropped them an email and their response was basically "We don't know, but let us know if you do get it working on a v4 engine"..

Wow! you're kidding, the company that sells and manufactures the things does not know.

:doh:

Wow! you're kidding, the company that sells and manufactures the things does not know.

:doh:

They make and sell them for V-Twins.. single or dual ignition.. but it's not specifically made for v4's etc..

C'mon guys, cut them some slack. Every engine ignition system is potentially different. In fact, ours is particularly strange, and if they do not know specifically about your make and model, there is no way they can say if it will work. But I can.

What makes our bike odd, ignition wise, is that it has an uneven firing pattern, uses four separate coils, but fires TWICE for each coil (a waste spark on the exhaust stroke). Sooooo, what that means for a tach is that it works fine with any tach designed for a TWIN cylinder engine that uses a coil that fires once per cylinder on each revolution. I think this is the same as a Harley dual-fire setup.

The simple explanation is that a tach is designed to count the number of firing pulses sent to a coil. A four cycle engine fires each cylinder once every two revolutions, so if we had one coil and a distributor like a car, that would be two pulses for each revolution. When just about every car used one coil and a distributor, it was simple to manufacture a tach with a switch on it to use for any 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine. But with electronic ignitions and multiple coils, there is no way to know in advance how many firing pulses a particular coil might receive unless you know the details of how that ignition system is designed.

I do not know if the specific tach you have will work with the Yamaha V4, since it looks like they make TWO different tach models and TWO adaptors. Unfortunately, I have no idea what a "2004+digital" is or how that would work (or maybe not) on our bike. The bottom line is that a tach designed to work with a stock Harley dual-fire ignition, such as a Drag Specialties mini tach, works fine on our bike.

Good luck,

Goose

Sir! Many thanks for the info, the docs do show what to do for single and dual fire ignitions, but I wasn't sure what I had or when I got this..

I swear, next winter I'm building a larger holding cabinet to store my winter projects so that.. oh wait, that's what I did LAST fall but the wife didn't care what it was and toss stuff around the basement.. No.. she's still walking fine.. ;)

Thanks Goose..

C'mon guys, cut them some slack. Every engine ignition system is potentially different. In fact, ours is particularly strange, and if they do not know specifically about your make and model, there is no way they can say if it will work. But I can.

What makes our bike odd, ignition wise, is that it has an uneven firing pattern, uses four separate coils, but fires TWICE for each coil (a waste spark on the exhaust stroke). Sooooo, what that means for a tach is that it works fine with any tach designed for a TWIN cylinder engine that uses a coil that fires once per cylinder on each revolution. I think this is the same as a Harley dual-fire setup.

The simple explanation is that a tach is designed to count the number of firing pulses sent to a coil. A four cycle engine fires each cylinder once every two revolutions, so if we had one coil and a distributor like a car, that would be two pulses for each revolution. When just about every car used one coil and a distributor, it was simple to manufacture a tach with a switch on it to use for any 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine. But with electronic ignitions and multiple coils, there is no way to know in advance how many firing pulses a particular coil might receive unless you know the details of how that ignition system is designed.

I do not know if the specific tach you have will work with the Yamaha V4, since it looks like they make TWO different tach models and TWO adaptors. Unfortunately, I have no idea what a "2004+digital" is or how that would work (or maybe not) on our bike. The bottom line is that a tach designed to work with a stock Harley dual-fire ignition, such as a Drag Specialties mini tach, works fine on our bike.

Good luck,

Goose

I was just trying to be kinder to the manufacturer.

No worries, I heard back from them today.. wasn't of great help but they seem to think the Venture is of single ignition, not dual..

Failure to install tach properly may result in damage to the bike's ignition system..

Ok, so back in the box this thing goes, and buying a proper one for the bike.. sigh