IGNORED

Stripped Oil Filter Bolt

Hi,

Thought I'd ask if anyone has a better solution than the one I am about to try.

The previous owner of my bike stripped the crap out of the oil filter bolt and I am unable to get it off. My plan is to cut a slot in the bolt head with my dremel and then use an impact driver to see if I can get it undone. Any other ideas?

Anyone know if the bolts bust off in the block since these are hollow?

I already have a replacement bolt, oil and filter. So it shouldn't be bad once I get it off.

Thanks,

Ian

Are the threads stripped or it the head of the filter bolt rounded?

If the head is just rounded, square off the corners to the next size down and use a smaller socket.

Also, you can but special "twist" sockets made to remove a rounded bolt.

I just hammered an 8 point socket onto the oil filter bolt on my XJ1100 when I found it rounded.

Yes, I should have said rounded, not stripped. I tried hammering on a 12 point but it just slipped again. I used to cut slots in the heads on my plane with the dremel and it worked out good each time. I just didn't know if the wall of the bolt was going to be soft and crush on me.

The wall of the bolt is way tougher than that little head. And actually, if the bolt were to break it would solve your problem anyhow. Someone has previously way over torqued it. The book is at the shop, but I believe that bolt only gets 11 ft-lbs torque - not much more than snug. Once the tension from being over torqued is gone the bolt would easily come out. One method is to grind the head completely off then just turn the shank of the thing with pliers.

Sears sells a stud and bolt extractor set that works great on them. It's like a socket, except it has aggressive tapered spiral flutes that dig into the head as you turn them.

You should have no problem cutting a slot and using an impact lots of the older oil filter bolts have come off that way. Some of the factory bolts had a 10mm bolt head and lots of people don't have metric tools so the next fit will do. NOT! :080402gudl_prv:

Hi,

Thought I'd ask if anyone has a better solution than the one I am about to try.

The previous owner of my bike stripped the crap out of the oil filter bolt and I am unable to get it off. My plan is to cut a slot in the bolt head with my dremel and then use an impact driver to see if I can get it undone. Any other ideas?

Anyone know if the bolts bust off in the block since these are hollow?

I already have a replacement bolt, oil and filter. So it shouldn't be bad once I get it off.

Thanks,

Ian

I assume you mean the drain bolt at the bottom of the oil pan, and it sounds like the bolt is seized rather than stripped. Two suggestions. A good old pair of good quality Vice Grips, brute strength to clamp them onto the head of the bolt as tight as possible, and a long piece of rigid pipe (at least three feet) with a sufficient diameter to slide over the handle of the Vice Grips (the one with the adjustable screw protruding from the end of it).

Second choice would be if you sheer the head off the bolt, go to Canadian Tire or some industrial supply place and purchase a set of screw extractors. You then attach the extractor to your drill (you'll have to lean the bike over or jack it up really high) and use the drilling end to drill the insertion hole. Then you turn the extractor bit around and thread in the left hand thread into the hole with a wrench and it will turn out the shank of the broken bolt without damaging the threaded hole in the casing.

:080402gudl_prv:

Tried cutting a slot, but the head just started to disintegrate. I therefore used the first idea of resurfacing the hex faces. Got it down to the next size and pounded on an impact socket. Worked like a charm. New bolt on and I'm looking up torque now. It also looks like the filter cover is keyed. Hoping there is a picture in the manual or I'll have to take it off again to see where it should line up.

Thanks guys,

Ian

I know its a bit late now that you have it replaced, but, i would suggest putting the rivco spin on filter adapter kit on your bike. I put on on my 85 and it makes changing the oil so much easier when all you have to do is to spin on an oil filter from a pt cruiser.

brian