IGNORED

Ride Like A Pro Houston (completed!)

Dave77459

Pktexas and I took the Ride Like A Pro class in Houston today, along with another buddy of mine and a fourth rider. There were three instructors, so we each got a lot of riding and a lot of individual attention.

I didn't watch the video first, and I need to be taken off the "lending list" because I bought my own copy. But, I cannot imagine getting the same benefit from the video that I got from the class. Having Wayne or Tom or Kim calling out instruction and fine tuning us was incredibly beneficial. And, frankly, when we got frustrated, they were quite adept at inspiring and encouraging us.

The four of us learned at different speeds. My buddy seemed to get it very quickly. A relatively new rider, he had fewer bad habits to overcome. I still need practice, although I know I am on the way to being skilled.

I think Perry (Pktexas) had the hardest time, in large part because his 2nd Gen was modified with pull-back bars. They hit the chrome tank cover early, preventing him from turning as sharply as everyone else. He'd mysteriously go wide, and it wasn't until the instructor rode his bike that the problem was revealed. You need a full lock-to-lock range of motion to do these maneuvers, and he wasn't getting it. I'll let him talk about that more if he wants.

I'm kinda lucky, because I live 10 minutes from the class. It ran from 8 to a little after noon. From noon to 1:00 was practice, and we learned that we are invited to come back during future class' practice time. Since I live so close, I think I'll get lots of practice.

As a corollary, if anyone here takes the class in the future, let me know. I can meet you at my favorite diner, about 5 minutes from the class. Then I can lead you over there, since the directions are confusing.

The four of us students came away thinking the class was well worth the money. The instructors were top notch and made learning fun. I highly recommend the class.

I'll leave you with a couple photos, and a video of my buddy making it look easy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=valJiM5uX80]YouTube - Allen Riding Like A Pro[/ame]

Like Dave, the class was well worth the time and money. Since I have been only riding my Venture since xmas, I am the first to admit that my skills are still improving. Thats why I took to class.

As Dave mentioned about the bars hitting, I knew since I got the bike that the bars hitting the cover when trying to go full lock didn't seem right. Removing the fuel tank chrome cover did seem to help me. But it could have been in my head also at that point.

The instructor was able to make all the moves on my bike, but that shows the skills needed. I am going to remove the riser and try riding to see if improves my sitting position also.

I believe more practice on tight manuevers using the skills we practiced in the class will definitly help me. I was able to complete the real tight u-turns and tight circles, just need more practice on the turning of the my head and eyes. As a tell my son on anything in life and riding; practice, practice, practice.... Now my turn...

Again, the coarse was fun, well worth. Will take it again down the road.

• 2 months later...

I just received 3 of the DVD's in the series a couple of hours ago in the mail at work - I've just read the covers so far and a little bit off of a fold out that shows some practice exercises (friction zone stuff). I have an '83 Venture - how does the linked brakes on the foot brake affect doing the maneuvers?

Doug

The "friction zone" can be a little tricky on our bikes because of the hydraulic clutch. Pretty narrow zone to hit and it starts pretty fast because of the lever action is short after the lever is pulled in. On a cable set up it can be adjusted for a little more throw on the lever. We don't have that option.

However, it does work. You just have to get used to the feel of it.

As for the linked brakes, no big deal. The way the proportioning valve works is it starts to give pressure to the rear first and as pressure builds the valve then allows fluid to go to the front left brake. The system is designed for 30% presure to the rear and 70% to the front. But at the lower speeds and a light pressure on the pedal you will not be feeling a lot, if any drag to the front brake.

Learning the friction zone is something to give you a lot more control over the bike when making tight turns and low speed riding. A good practice is covered in some of the classes by just a straight line at the lowest possble speed. A little drag on the rear and slipping the zone will let you learn to balance the bike while having full control. You'd be suprised how much easier it is to balance that way an how slow you can actually go. Once you feel comfortable with that the stop to stop turns are a lot easier to deal with.

You just have to learn to break old habits and keep your fingers off the front brake lever. LOL! Duct tape was getting close to being an option for me. Bad habit. Finally broke it.

Mike

I'll leave you with a couple photos, and a video of my buddy making it look easy.

Interesting... I note that in the second pic, the rider is doing a sharp right turn but looking straight forward. What happened to the "look in the direction you want to go" rule?

Could it be that the pic was snapped just as the rider was about to change direction or?

Regarding the friction zone, I found I learned where it was and became comfortable with it when inching up a hill behind slow or stop & go traffic or just pulling away from a dead stop up a hill without rolling backwards (as I generally hold the bike at a stop with the front brake soas to keep both feet on the ground).

Interesting... I note that in the second pic, the rider is doing a sharp right turn but looking straight forward. What happened to the "look in the direction you want to go" rule?

Could it be that the pic was snapped just as the rider was about to change direction or?

Heh, that's me! We were weaving through tennis balls, and were supposed to look down the line at our destination (the orange cone). If we looked where we were going, at that speed and angle we'd go down.

Heh, that's me! We were weaving through tennis balls, and were supposed to look down the line at our destination (the orange cone). If we looked where we were going, at that speed and angle we'd go down.

ahhh... that was my third guess :whistling:

Hi Doug,

No problem. I got to tell ya I've had two falls on different Goldwings back in the 80's. Both falls amazed me. I was more than a little familiar with both bikes. One I rode over 180,000 miles on. Both falls were at about 5 MPH turning corners on city streets. I can't say how many hours I spent trying to figure out why I fell.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that it hit me. The front brake thing in a corner. I'd always done it and never thought about it.

After buying the "Pro" DVD, which arrived like 15 or 20 minutes before I left to go to an Experienced Ride Class, I finally quit doing it. I never touch the front lever now at low speed until I get to a complete stop. Weird thing, I quit falling over or even coming close to it.

The "Pro" DVD's will help you with a lot of stuff. But you got to put in the time to practice. I cut up a bag full of old tennis balls, and I haven't told my daughter where they went yet, and go to the local HS parking lot when it's empty and lay them out and run the course. I've improved my turning a lot, even two up with my daughter I can go full stop either direction and make a clean turn.

At first I was worried about dropping the bike so I wrapped the the crash bars with those wrap-around steering wheel covers I picked up at the Dollar Store and wrapped them with duct tape. Scuffed the tape a few times. LOL. But no rash on the bars.

Like these guys said, the money on these classes is money well spent. Even the ERC helps break old bad habits and teach you the proper way to handle the bike. I'll be going back in another year or when I buy a new RSV just to keep tuned in. If they ever have a Ride Like a Pro class near me I'll be there.

Besides, it drives my neighbor nuts to see me make a U-turn on our two lane street and he swears there is no way the Ultra he rides was designed to do that. Yes I make fun of him and provoke him when I can. Well, he calls my VR a "massive rice burning POS" so I'm entitled to a little fun with the guy.

Ride safe.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Pktexas and I took the Ride Like A Pro class in Houston today, along with another buddy of mine and a fourth rider. There were three instructors, so we each got a lot of riding and a lot of individual attention.

Dang! I wish I had known you were scheduled for that - I'd have ridden down to join you (and you could have saved a trip up here in a couple of days to do your carbs). Oh well, now I'll just have to throw one of your carbs down the storm drain to teach you a lesson!

Goose

(or maybe I'll just stick a toothpick in one of the main jets - MUCH more subtle!)

Besides, it drives my neighbor nuts to see me make a U-turn on our two lane street and he swears there is no way the Ultra he rides was designed to do that. Yes I make fun of him and provoke him when I can. Well, he calls my VR a "massive rice burning POS" so I'm entitled to a little fun with the guy.

Mike, great post! I bought the plastic scuff guards at the class, and they've come in handy. :whistling: I think they said others have used old garden hose slit longitudinally.

At the class, the instructor used an Ultra to demonstrate some maneuvers. I think he rode inside a 14' circle.

Dang! I wish I had known you were scheduled for that - I'd have ridden down to join you (and you could have saved a trip up here in a couple of days to do your carbs). Oh well, now I'll just have to throw one of your carbs down the storm drain to teach you a lesson!

Goose

(or maybe I'll just stick a toothpick in one of the main jets - MUCH more subtle!)

IIRC, just about when we had the class, you were thinking of the ones to be held in Dallas. And then they were rained out?

The RLAP site shows classes at the HOG Rally in Greune, but who wants to be around pigs? Why don't you come down some weekend, take the class in the morning and then finish your ride around Texas. In a few weeks, my son will be gone to college and we'll have an extra room. I live 5 miles from the class.

The Houston site is down (as usual... very crappy ISP), but Mr. Google has the schedule in his cache.

See ya Saturday.

One of the instructors we had at the ERC was on an Ultra and the other on a full dress Vulcan. Both bikes had no problem with the short and I mean short circles. The guy on the Vulcan would go full stop then slide off the side of the seat like a road racer and drop a knee to the ground and just flip back and forth doing figure 8's in an 18 X 24 foot box. It was fun to watch but I doubt I'll be wearing knee pucks on the VR. That would just be showing off. :innocent-emoticon:

What about clutch wear doing the friction zone thing? The brake part doesn't bother me any - doesn't seem like that wear would be too bad, but I wonder about the clutch wear, though.

I've been playing around with it a little today, like in the Subway parking lot when I went to pick up some lunch. It was nice to be able to go real slow in the busy parking lot and feel like I was in control still.

Thanks,

Doug

What about clutch wear doing the friction zone thing? The brake part doesn't bother me any - doesn't seem like that wear would be too bad, but I wonder about the clutch wear, though.

I've been playing around with it a little today, like in the Subway parking lot when I went to pick up some lunch. It was nice to be able to go real slow in the busy parking lot and feel like I was in control still.

Thanks,

Doug

Because it's a wet clutch, you can slip them for a long, long, looooonnnnggg time before any noticeable wear would occur. It's not the same as a dry clutch.

The Experienced Riders Class I took here in Omaha put on by the Safety Council was $120.00 for 7 hours on the track and a written test at the end. Only 12 to a group with 2 instructors. You ride your own bike.

Google up "Experienced Rider Course Utah" and see what you come up with. I hit a few with that.

The RLAP course I took was $150 and lasted 4 hours plus an hour for practice. That was about all I could take... it was demanding. There were 4 of us with 3 instructors. And we can go back for free every class that's offered for the practice hour to ride the marked course and get flaws corrected by the instructors.

Dave

I just emailed the place that I'm interested in taking their Experienced Riders Class($70 for 5 hrs - on a Saturday). They contact you to schedule for the class.

I appreciate the heads up! I considered taking the beginners one for $200, but they say if you have a Motorcycle endorsement and/or over 1000 hours of riding experience, to take the Experienced Riders Class.

Doug