My 93 Has Had A Noise Coming From The Starter Clutch For Some Time Now But Its Getting Worse, Only On Start Up And When The Engine Is Hot It Will Really Make Some Noise. If I Order #7 In The Picture Below , Will That Give Me Everthing I Need To Fix The Problem ?. I Know I Will Need A Cover Gasket. Thanks

Yes, #7 the clutch assy, and the 3 sets of wgts, spacers and springs.

Also, I replaced the 3 bolts. #11.

You may not need them, however might be best to replace them also.

They are " Staked " into position from factory, so you may not be able to reuse them

When you replace them, ( the bolts, #11 ) be sure to use Lock tite, and Re Stake them into position, after you re-torque them.

I have also seen information that some folks have had to replace the 72 Tooth sproket, due to it being damaged, However mine was not damaged, and I reused the original.

Hi,

as George has said, definatly 3 new Bolts #11, those are Allen Headed standard Threaded M8x25mm in heavy Duty 12.0 Quality, some good, red Loctite and good Luck with dismounting the Flywheel.

I recommend to replace the Wheel #6 also, because those 3 Rollers #10 are running on that Wheel everytime the Engine runs. If there is wear on the Surface, even if minimal, the Rollers would be damaged way sooner than with a new Wheel. Damage on the Wheel i've seen where flat Spots and Skid Marks or both of it.

So depending if you want to save the Money for the Wheel or do the Job again earlier choose what to do.

On the other Hand, depending on what all the 1Gen Parts would cost, other Option would be, sending the Flywheel to http://www.pcwracing.net/featured.htm and get their Starter-Clutch Conversion. Might cost a bit more in the first Place, but you will never hear from it again. Just mount the converted Flywheel with the Parts they send you and forget what for and where the Starter Clutch on your Bike is.

Hello,

Just completed replacing my starter clutch on my 89 VR. Really wasn't that bad of a deal except of course when I attempted to put it back together couldn't get the cover to line up, found the shifting linkage rod end had flipped upside down took afew hours to find that problem, after that was corrected the cover put it's self on. At any rate I found that the plate that holds the three dowel pins to be cracked, all three allen bolts loose and working in the holes and all three small springs broken. From What I have heard some people have found the main gear missing teeth I didn't have that problem which is a good thing. Good luck. Bigmax