Hey, I am getting my dads old bike, a 85 VR1200 and I am in the getting it ready for the summer and what not. I'm all most done but I just really hate the sound of it with the stock mufflers. I was asking around all the car guys around school and they said I could put straight pipes right off the chamber instead of the stock mufflers.

Just wanted to know If this is illegal, and I don't know what it is but one guy said something about it would mess up back pressure?

Thanks,

BMattie

I would imagine that straight pipes would be illegal anywhere. Doesn't stop a lot of people from doing it though.

I will say this, extra loud pipes are a danger to those around you, and even to your own hearing. Loud pipes do NOT save lives, and irritate cage drivers near you for sure. Plus people in quiet areas hate them.

I like a nice sounding bike or car, but draw the line at intruding on other people's right to a reasonably quiet neighborhood, or not to have their hearing assaulted on the highway.

I do understand that re-jetting the carbs is recommended though if you change the exhaust noticeably.

When even a member of the owner family of Harley-Davidson campaigns against loud bikes, you know it is getting bad, and people need to pay attention.

I would imagine that straight pipes would be illegal anywhere. Doesn't stop a lot of people from doing it though.

I will say this, extra loud pipes are a danger to those around you, and even to your own hearing. Loud pipes do NOT save lives, and irritate cage drivers near you for sure. Plus people in quiet areas hate them.

I like a nice sounding bike or car, but draw the line at intruding on other people's right to a reasonably quiet neighborhood, or not to have their hearing assaulted on the highway.

I do understand that re-jetting the carbs is recommended though if you change the exhaust noticeably.

When even a member of the owner family of Harley-Davidson campaigns against loud bikes, you know it is getting bad, and people need to pay attention.

Oh yeah I know what your saying, Never really thought of it that way, probably get pulled over pretty fast around here.

thanks a lot man,

BMattie

Hey Big B,

I have the Jardine exhausts on my 87'VR and they are really cool. Mac is another company that makes exhausts for the first gens. Check out this old thread about the "Sound Trifecta". It's about 6 posts down.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=309608#post309608

It compares stock to Mac to Jardine. I have attached a pic of my 87'VR with the Jardine Exhausts installed.

Hope this helps,

Earl