IGNORED

Anyone running Motolights?

I've been looking at Motolights over the weekend, and I got's the hots to put a set on my RSV! Anybody running Motolights (stock 35W version) along with the OEM passing lights? I'm thinking my charging system might be challenged but want to hear what others may have to say. I make it out to be an added 5 or 6 amps to add the Motolights.

Smokee

I've been looking at Motolights over the weekend, and I got's the hots to put a set on my RSV! Anybody running Motolights (stock 35W version) along with the OEM passing lights? I'm thinking my charging system might be challenged but want to hear what others may have to say. I make it out to be an added 5 or 6 amps to add the Motolights.

Smokee

Hi Smokee,

I'm running the caliper version on my '07. I also have the PIAA 35/70 lights in the passing lamps. The Venture handles those fine.

http://secure.electronicart.com/www_motolight_com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1071

I also installed a Kuyrakyn Voltmeter on the bike, so I can monitor the charging. I installed both sets of lights using a power plate, relays and a switch box.

Pics are attached.

Cheers,

Leonard

Hi Smokee,

.......I also installed a Kuyrakyn Voltmeter on the bike, so I can monitor the charging. I installed both sets of lights using a power plate, relays and a switch box.........

After adding the extra lights do you notice a charging/discharging problem? I've heard others mention that some of the higher wattage lights cause a drain on the charging system.

Holy smokes! That's a load o' dough for those!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

They must work good. :)

With the higher wattage (35W) passing lights and my regular headlight I don't find myself in the need of more light. More light is always good but my setup really lights up the road. Important when you live in a place that regulates the light pollution due to all the telescopes up on the mountain here. They really don't like light pollution so we have minimal streetlights (and even those are orange) that makes the island quite dark at night.

Course I have a completely different headlight reflector than stock so maybe that's why.

After adding the extra lights do you notice a charging/discharging problem? I've heard others mention that some of the higher wattage lights cause a drain on the charging system.

I haven't had any problems. The PIAA use the same amount of power, but supply twice the light. So the 35/70W use 35Watts of power, but supply light equivalent to 70Watts.

Even with the passing lamps and motolights on at the same time, I'm still in the green on the voltmeter.

Cheers,

Leonard

Holy smokes! That's a load o' dough for those!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Anything for a motorcycle is a load of dough!! :)

Paid 19K for the 07, and have already put $6500 in accessories for it. Still got another $1500 or so to go.

Leonard

Anything for a motorcycle is a load of dough!! :)

Paid 19K for the 07, and have already put $6500 in accessories for it. Still got another $1500 or so to go.

Leonard

I wish I had your bank account BEFORE you started your spending spree ;-)

I haven't had any problems. The PIAA use the same amount of power, but supply twice the light. So the 35/70W use 35Watts of power, but supply light equivalent to 70Watts.

Even with the passing lamps and motolights on at the same time, I'm still in the green on the voltmeter.

Cheers,

Leonard

Hey thanks for the information Leonard! I think I've made up my mind to go with the Motolights the same way you did. That's a nice lookin' bike, by the way!

Are the PIAA's in the driving lights halogen bulbs inside of a housing? I have the Yamaha OEM incandescent 30 Watt sealed beams in my passing lights...I'd like to change over to halogens, but I'm having trouble finding the glass part that houses the H3 lamp...if that makes sense.

Thanks again for the info on the Motolights!

Smokee

Hey thanks for the information Leonard! I think I've made up my mind to go with the Motolights the same way you did. That's a nice lookin' bike, by the way!

Are the PIAA's in the driving lights halogen bulbs inside of a housing? I have the Yamaha OEM incandescent 30 Watt sealed beams in my passing lights...I'd like to change over to halogens, but I'm having trouble finding the glass part that houses the H3 lamp...if that makes sense.

Thanks again for the info on the Motolights!

Smokee

I did not install the sealed beam lights: STR-4XY35-10-00. I installed the halogen passing lamps: STR-4NK35-10-01 which are for the V-Star; That is how you get the correct glass to use the H3. If you change to these, you will need to extend the wiring a little bit to work.

Cheers,

Leonard