IGNORED

Left Turn signal stuck on

Guest edwardk2

Guest edwardk2

I have an 84 Venture Royale. The left turn signal is stuck on (does not blink) I imagine it's a relay. I popped the headlight and can see a number of relays but no idea what they do. Any help gratefully appreciated

I'm not an expert on the 84's but I would go for the signal relay and I would not know where it at but I know it when I see it. Also look to see all the bulbs are working I have seen a few setups where one bulb go's out it will stop blinking but the remaining bulb on that side will stay on.

The signal flasher doesn't have a left and right side....power goes thru it then to the signal switch. Could have some buildup on the switch contacts allowing some current to flow to the bulbs but not enough to cause the relay to cycle.

WHen you say "Stuck on" you mean doesn't flash..when you select left....or its staying lit all the time?

Does the switch feel normal....springs back to the center position easily?

Is the hazard flasher switch totally off.....and do the lights blink normally when you have the hazards on?

Edited by Neil86
more ??

Guest edwardk2

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice!

Just to clarify, when I said "stuck on" I meant the bulb stays lit and does not flash. The switch itself feels OK, it springs back to the center position fine so I don't think it is that. I fiddled with the hazard switch, the hazards do not work at all, when I tunr the switch to the on position nothing flashes.

I found one 9 pin relay a 41R-71 which is labeled signal / hazard. I disconnecting it and reseated it and now everything seems to work so I guess it was a bad contact to the relay.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for an 84 venture? That would help a lot.

i chased a whole set of symptoms around on a different bike... all related to a corroded bulb/socket in the rear turn signal. it would blink faster, slower, not at all, stay on.. you name it.

I spent a good while chasing it down with ohm meter, test light, etc. till i was blue in the face. Studied the wiring diagrams till i was crosseyed, replaced the flasher, etc.

I do bellieve the problem was related to current traveling back up the wrong path due to the short in the socket. Never solved it before i traded it in for my current ride... rsv 08.

i did come away with this bit of wisdom. Put some dielectric grease on your bulbs when you have the opportunity.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice!

Just to clarify, when I said "stuck on" I meant the bulb stays lit and does not flash. The switch itself feels OK, it springs back to the center position fine so I don't think it is that. I fiddled with the hazard switch, the hazards do not work at all, when I tunr the switch to the on position nothing flashes.

I found one 9 pin relay a 41R-71 which is labeled signal / hazard. I disconnecting it and reseated it and now everything seems to work so I guess it was a bad contact to the relay.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for an 84 venture? That would help a lot.

Further down the forums list on this site you will see a forum called "First gen tech library". The last link in the library is a copy of both of the first gen factory repair manuals and part numbers. These manuals have all of the wiring schematics printed in them.

Dick