IGNORED

Very early end to the riding year

Well i started off good, finnaly putting new valve cover gaskets on(lots of fun there),cleaning all the grease and grime from the old leaky gaskets off, and doing a fresh oil and filter change all ready for the summer. Two days later on my way home from work today bikes running great doing about 70 down the freeway in the end of rush hour traffic and i get a loud mettalic crunch and what sounds like metals bouncing down the road behind me. the rear tire starts to lock up, pull the clutch in and it coasts smooth to the shoulder in about the busiest spot on the freeway of course. out it in neutral bike idles perfect look underneath and see the last of my oil pouring onto the blacktop. got a trailer and she sits in the garge now. hopefully next week i can start looking into it, i'll be gone all weekend.my only thoughts right now are it must be in the transmission, which means pulling the motor,more fun. hopefully no crackes in the housing but a short supply of parts money with a kid on the way means i doubt i'll get it back on the road anytime soon.

Glad to hear you were able to bring it to a stop without injury. Sudden lock up of the back wheel in such instances has always been a nightmare of mine about riding such an old bike.

Good luck with the repair. I'll be reading for your analysis and will help out if I can with suggestions.

Brian H.

Well i started off good, finnaly putting new valve cover gaskets on(lots of fun there),cleaning all the grease and grime from the old leaky gaskets off, and doing a fresh oil and filter change all ready for the summer. Two days later on my way home from work today bikes running great doing about 70 down the freeway in the end of rush hour traffic and i get a loud mettalic crunch and what sounds like metals bouncing down the road behind me. the rear tire starts to lock up, pull the clutch in and it coasts smooth to the shoulder in about the busiest spot on the freeway of course. out it in neutral bike idles perfect look underneath and see the last of my oil pouring onto the blacktop. got a trailer and she sits in the garge now. hopefully next week i can start looking into it, i'll be gone all weekend.my only thoughts right now are it must be in the transmission, which means pulling the motor,more fun. hopefully no crackes in the housing but a short supply of parts money with a kid on the way means i doubt i'll get it back on the road anytime soon.
I've got the lower transmission housing and the oil pan plate and all of the transmission parts on a 1984 parts bike sitting in my backyard in the way.I'm sure I have everything you need for that part of the engine. Get in touch with me by phone 404 694-1469 and I'm sure we can work a deal.

well i still haven't had much time to work on it yet, rebuilding the baby room at the moment that's taking priority over the bike. i did finnally atleast get to pulling the drain plug for the oil tonight, no noticable metal pieces draining the oil but it sure looked pretty black for really only have run for about 4 hrs after the oil change