IGNORED

Red Oil Light On Meaning

awsmsrv

I'm hoping the infinite wisdom here can help me with this. When I really jump on it and get the rpms up, my oil light comes on. At my last service (20K) I mentioned this and they said they couldn't duplicate it, but it still does it every time I jump on it (not that often). I thought it might be that I didn't have quite enough oil in it, so I added a little to no effect. Anyone else have this problem? What did you do about it? I'm now due for my 24K service and want to mention it again, but my thinking is that they never tested it the first time. I just don't like when an idiot light comes on because I know it's talking to me. Thanks in advance.

I have seen that mentioned here a few times. It is normal for these Ventures to do that when you really romp on it. I have proven that to myself several times just to see for myself.

If you put too much oil in you will have a mess on your hands tho.....Three and a half quarts tops!

Boomer........who has hit the Rev Limiter more than a few times as well.

The Oil Light on a 2nd Gen is an oil level light, not oil pressure. When you nail it good in low gears you do two things - high RPMs suck up a lot of oil that takes a little more time to drain back down, and the sudden thrust forward causes the oil to pile up in the back of the pan, causing the low level switch to trigger.

I am pretty sure this is even documented in the owner's manual.

Goose

The Oil Light on a 2nd Gen is an oil level light, not oil pressure. When you nail it good in low gears you do two things - high RPMs suck up a lot of oil that takes a little more time to drain back down, and the sudden thrust forward causes the oil to pile up in the back of the pan, causing the low level switch to trigger.

I am pretty sure this is even documented in the owner's manual.

Goose

Thanks Goose. As long as it's done infrequently, as it is, I assume everything should be just fine?