IGNORED

Sealing final drive mating surfaces

Folks,

The manual calls for sealant on the 2 mating surfaces of the final drive and the drive shaft tube, but it did not look like any was on mine when it was disassembled.

What sealant do you use when reassembling, if any?

Is there something other than the Yamaha brand that would work if you do seal those surfaces?

Thanks

When I put mine back together...I did not use nothing.

If you look at your photos you can see a little orange around the bolts...that is the orginal sealant. It is a silicon based sealant they use from the factory.

I figure the flange connections would seal good enough since it is not like I am gonna forge any water or at least no plans to do that, so I elected to leave the sealant off. It not like you are trying to seal if off from leaking oil or something.

If you wanted to put something back...a very thin coat of Permatex silicon would be fine after a good cleaning of the surfaces.

While you got all that apart be sure to put some moly paste on the all the splines before re-assembly. Splines on shaft, splines on the rear end to drive unit and do not forget to coat the drive pins.

+1 on the RTV, if I was going to do it and RTV is readily available. I usually use it on my cars to seal the overhead valve cover and gasket. On the Venture, I think there is really no oil that pass through the mating surface (looking at the pic)...just the splines that spin within the assembly.

On another note, I think he is also using a Carbon One jack adapter to hold the bike.

Thanks for the input - not going to worry about sealing it.

Yes n3fol - that is a carbon one adapter - works well - great investment.

Heard that we are to have sun and around 80 degrees this weekend in central Illinois - need to be ready to go!