IGNORED

1st gen cargo carrier

Guest Ken8143

Guest Ken8143

I wanted a cargo carrier for a cooler and a bag rather than purchasing a trailer.

Rivco makes a nice cargo carrier, 2 sizes, but rather pricey. Since I already had a Hitch Doc hitch on the bike, and no trailer, I had removed the hitch part, leaving two places for a 5/8" rod to fit in.

Hmmm, I thought, How about making my own cargo tray? Had a guy weld up a tray out of stainless steel, drilled 1/4" holes in each corner to drain out water, several 1/4" holes around the lip. Welded some angle iron on the bottom for stability, and two pieces of 5/8" rod, drilled 1/4" holes to bolt it on where the hitch part was bolted on - and wallah - it worked just fine!

Hope the pics come out OK.

I like your set up very much,plus your brake light real nice setup.Never thought of working off my hitch assembly.Where did you get your brake light.

Photos are great too.I like the way you set it up plus saved youself so much money too.I was thinking the same thing about the Rivco setup could not see spending that much money.

buddy

Guest Ken8143

There is a local trailer supply shop, carrying all sorts of items. Got this light which is a combination of running light and stop light (LED) for around $25.

• 5 weeks later...

This is really cool! about how wide and deep is it? Is the wiring just using trailer wiring hookup, flat four pin for easy disconnect? how much weight have you had on it?

paru

This is really cool! about how wide and deep is it? Is the wiring just using trailer wiring hookup, flat four pin for easy disconnect? how much weight have you had on it?

paru

It is a regular trailer wiring hookup - just didn't use the turn signal wires. it is 14 x 22", and I haven't tried to load it heavy - maybe 25 - 30 pounds?

The guy made it up for $70. A bit pricey, but then I had it made out of stainless steel. As far as handling, I did a 2300 mile trip with it, two up and didn't notice any handling issues.