IGNORED

Vista Cruise (Thumb lock) for the second gen?

The cruise control on my bike works fine, but my daily commute has many curves, hills, and places that i prefer to handle the engine power myself. As such I still would like to lock the throttle occaisionally while I relax my hand.

Anyone have a plastic thumb locker on their 2nd gen? I don't even know if it will fit.

Ever heard of a throttle meister from markley enterprises in milwaukee? I used one on my valkyrie for years and then got tired of fighting the venture cruise and went with one on it- you cant beat it for ease and dependability. Looks great and reduses vibration on the bar ends, I use the hevy duty polished tj

Guest tx2sturgis

This brings up a point. I've noticed that my cruise control is subject to varying speeds. It wont maintain a set speed very well. I have noticed also that my throttle action is getting stiff, and I did try to lube the cables, but with no success, the stiffness, and reluctance of the grip to return to idle, is very noticeable. I suspect that there may be something else going on with the throttle/cruise/carb linkages.

But even when brand new, the cruise control would not hold a precise setting. It tended to vary about 3 to 5 mph even on a flat road with no winds. My ElectraGlide will hold the speed to within 1 mph...so I was a bit surprised. I've gotten used to it, but I have thought about adding some type of mechanical throttle lock. Just thinking out loud.

This brings up a point. I've noticed that my cruise control is subject to varying speeds. It wont maintain a set speed very well. I have noticed also that my throttle action is getting stiff, and I did try to lube the cables, but with no success, the stiffness, and reluctance of the grip to return to idle, is very noticeable. I suspect that there may be something else going on with the throttle/cruise/carb linkages.

But even when brand new, the cruise control would not hold a precise setting. It tended to vary about 3 to 5 mph even on a flat road with no winds. My ElectraGlide will hold the speed to within 1 mph...so I was a bit surprised. I've gotten used to it, but I have thought about adding some type of mechanical throttle lock. Just thinking out loud.

Remember the RSV needs rpm's. It has little torque like V-twinn. I only run my cruise at highway speeds of 75 mph in fifth and 45 - 50 mph in fourth. In these ranges it works great. :smile5:

Guest tx2sturgis
Remember the RSV needs rpm's. It has little torque like V-twinn. I only run my cruise at highway speeds of 75 mph in fifth and 45 - 50 mph in fourth. In these ranges it works great. :smile5:

Thanks but this is not an RPM problem. Something else is going on.

Tx - check for slack in the cable at the cruise actuator. It is in the left side lower cowling near the horn. Mine was backed all the way off. Adjusted it all the other way, and still think there is too much slack. it holds within +/-1 mph as read on the gps. I dont have to do that stupid "push set, then push resume twice" stuff anymore either!!

Guest tx2sturgis
Tx - check for slack in the cable at the cruise actuator. It is in the left side lower cowling near the horn. Mine was backed all the way off. Adjusted it all the other way, and still think there is too much slack. it holds within +/-1 mph as read on the gps. I dont have to do that stupid "push set, then push resume twice" stuff anymore either!!

Thanks, I will do that!

Regarding the thottle not returning to idle - I had this start on mine turns out I had some how tightened the little black wheel adjustor on the the clutch cable up by the resevoir. At maintenance day 3 years ago was telling LA about it and he walked over and loosened that wheel adjuster and presto chango it was back to normal.