IGNORED

89 would not start!

I went for the first ride this year this afternoon.

The bike started fine and ran great. When I got home I shut off the bike to open the garage door, when I tried to restart the bike, I could not get it to turn over. The battery is fully charged and all of the lights worked but I did not hear the fuel pump run. I also could not get the neutral indicator light to illuminate. I shifted into first and back into neutral (no light) tried second back into neutral (no light). I pulled the clutch in with the side stand down - no luck. I put up the side stand - no luck. Side stand up, clutch in - no luck. The bike was in neutral, the green light was not on. I don't use the kill switch but checked it by flipping it off then on several times - no luck. I pushed the bike into the garage and kept tinkering with it. I checked all fuses and they were fine. After breaking out the manual, the bike had cooled down. When I turned the key back on to try to figure out what the problem is, low and behold the neutral light was on and the bike fired right up. Last season the neutral indicator light was acting up when the bike was hot and did not always come on but it always started.

This has me stumped! :confused07: :confused07: :confused07:

Could the gear switch cause this starting problem?

Can it be adjusted so the neutral light comes on when I am in neutral?

The Run Stop switch might be intermittant, clean it with contact cleaner.

Possibility that the Ing Swtch, on off contacts are intermittant also.

One other item, is the Main 40 Amp fuse, open the fuse holder, remove the element, and clean it. ( 2 small screws hold it in place )

The Neutral light, is powered, from the "Signal Fuse." and gets ground from the

shift position switch. ( So, if ing is ON, and Shift in Neutreal, the green light should be on ) ( even if somethig else wrong in the Start Cut Off Circuit.

All of the Ignition components, and the Fuel pump are powered by the " Ing fuse "

SO: You must have had a power loss to the left, side of the fuse block.

You must have had a loss of power going to the Ing Switch On Off contacts,

Or, thru the On-Off contacts.

Might be dirty or worn contacts inside the Ignition switch.

Follow the Main cable " From " the Ignition Switch, you will come to a plug, open this plug and clean all contacts with contact cleaner.

There are Two plugs, a 3 wire plug, and a 2 wire plug.

Maby dirty contacts.

I would reccomend takeing a Resistance Reading Thru the Main Switch ON - Off,

contacts.

do the same on the Run Stop Switch.

On a different note: Do you happen to be a Red Tail employee ??

Its very common as Ventures rack up miles, for the brass pin ("neutral point") that rotates across the gear indication switch to wear out.

So....to start the bike...it has to be in neutral...(indication failing) or in gear with side stand up and clutch pulled in. Since you tried this and it wouldn't crank, and you tested side stand switch and its good, whats left...

The clutch switch.

The switch is a plunger that extends out when the lever is pulled in and moves away from the switch. All winter your bike has sat with the switch plunger depressed, so its quite possible its stuck "in".

With the bike cold...neutral indication working, try starting bike....if its ok, with sidestand up place it in gear...still running...great. Now with clutch still in shut off and try a restart in gear.

If it won't crank.....the clutch switch is probably at fault. Remve the plastic guard over lever pivot, pull in clutch and you'll see the plunger I'm referring to....work it with a flat blade to get it to pop out, and clean it up with WD-40.

GeorgeS -no, I'm not a red tail employee. I was a SCA employee. gave up on the whole airline thing.

Neil86 - you nailed it! It was the clutch switch stuck in. lubed it and it works now. Are clutch switches still available?

I still want to try to fix the indicator switch brass pin. Can that be done? and how difficult is it to access and repair?

to all - Thanks for all of the help! :p

The clutch switch is still available. It's a lot of $$$. That's why I have mine super glued in place (retaining tab is broken off).

They're pretty easy to disassemble too. Slide the rubber cover off the back and it's held together by 2 little locking tabs.

If you decide to replace yours I'd like a crack at the old one, I could use the housing.

It was the clutch switch stuck in. lubed it and it works now. Are clutch switches still available?

I still want to try to fix the indicator switch brass pin. Can that be done? and how difficult is it to access and repair?

to all - Thanks for all of the help! :p

SWITCH 41V-82917-01-00 $36.18 "priced from Flatout MC"