IGNORED

Look what that Harley fairing did to our RSTD

mountainhorsega

Actually, that first pic is a Katana we bought when everything that is yellow was PINK and changed the color and re-sold.

This is the first fitting of the fairing Shep had started. (Have modified it a little bit since and have some more adjusting to go) Will get more pics soon.

I fab'ed the brackets from diamond plate aluminum, They are braced behind with 1/4" thick aluminum strap. Rode very well with just a little additional bounce up around 85 or so. Since then, have leaned it back a little more and squared it up a little better - solved the bounce problem.

Using Stainless bolts and nuts everywhere. Went with an 8" dark smoke shield and deflectors. It is just about the perfect height - kind of wish would have gone with 9" but that might have been a little to much - Can see about 2-3 inches over it right now and topping a hill in the dark, you lose the road until you clear the crest so I think the 9" would have been to much.

Plan on dropping it about another 1/4 to 1/2" to get it to wrap around the headlight a little better and filling the gap above the speedo with dark smoke acrylic. We have the stereo and speakers sitting in the office. We are just waiting to do the cleanup on the old speedo and tach holes and filling them and all the excess openings with fiberglass. Then it's waiting for a nice warm day to paint it. Trying to find a neat looking 2.25" Thermometer and clock on the cheap but no luck yet. I suspect we will fill the two small round holes with smoke plexi and stick on a clock and thermometer that we can find.

More to come later - right now, building the house is taking precedence. Will update the RSTD Owners Unite thread when I have time.

Edited by mountainhorsega
added pic

Seems like it would have been easier to buy a Venture to begin with, but to each his own.

I don't care for the fairing on the venture. Something about the look of it just turns me off. As you said - to each his own. I am happy for the folks that like the look of the fairing but it just isn't what floats my boat.

I don't care for the fairing on the venture. Something about the look of it just turns me off. As you said - to each his own. I am happy for the folks that like the look of the fairing but it just isn't what floats my boat.

I agree. the RSV fairing always reminds me of the "alien" movies. I can't help but think of the queen alien head. I thought about putting a Harely Fairing on mine. Then I could get some real gages and scrap the cassete deck. however, it's just not a priority. I will mount a tach on the handlebars and be done with it.

I never realized how much I relied on the tach to control vehicle speed until I got my RSV.

I think it is looking really nice! You may also want to check out the Ultra Star Forum over at Delphi Forums... people puttin fairings like that on all kinds of bikes... Also, they did a really great article on the Road Star Clinic on mounting the HD batwing and how to install 4 speakers and a cd player in it... that may help you out a bit as well... Good Luck with your setup.... :thumbsup2:

Since we expect the G3 should have cd - I went so far as to even obsolete a cd player. The stereo we selected just has a usb /sd port and weatherband. 1 GB of music and don't have to carry even 1 cd or an Ipod. (I always worried about the thought of having to deal with an ipod while riding)

I will try to go over to the delphi forums. I already have the stereo and speakers - went with Pyle marine grade stereo and waterproof speakers. I thought about putting 4 speakers in the fairing but figured would wait until we find a trunk and put them in back there. The stereo has a remote so the co-pilot will be able to control.

Edited by mountainhorsega