IGNORED

Where to Start?

Juliandil

Hello,

My name is Julian and im from Guelph, Ont, Canada.

Im interested in bike riding, but im not sure where to start.

Clearly i need my licenses, but are there resources out there that will help me gain the knowledge required to begin riding?

Regards

Go to your nearest motorcycle shop and ask where they hold the motorcycle safety and training courses. that is your best bet. getting time in the saddle and picking the bike up over and over again.

Honda places train on little Honda Rebel's the Harley dealers train on the cheapie Buell bikes. Fun little things that teach you a LOT about riding.

You really want to do that BEFORE you think of riding a 800+ pound bike that is a different animal all together. I can throw a 250-350 bike around like it's a bicycle. my 83Venture cant be thrown anywhere. you have to learn advanced things like panic countersteering and a lot of other stuff to keep a monster upright in an emergency or in dirt. It can be done, but it is incredibly hard compared to a little light bike. It's scary on a big bike when you are scraping the pegs and heading for the gravel.

Then search online for the Ride Like a Pro DVD's those are incredible resources for advanced Motorcycle riding. A real biker never stops learning.

Hi....

If you head down to any MTO office, they will have information on beginning motorcycle riding, and likely also have places for instructional courses. A lot of local colleges have them. I am almost positive Conestoga has some. As mentioned in previous posts, these courses can teach you a lot of things that can certainly save your life.

The other good advice from above is starting on something somewhat smaller and more manuverable - I love my Venture, but it is not a bike to learn on. Think 500cc-750cc range : they have more than enough power & speed so you can ride confidently, but considerably less bulk.

Good luck, enjoy, and hope to wave at you on the road !

Guest BluesLover

Julian - start at the MTO office to pick up the Motorcycle Riding booklet.

I suggest you also look at the local colleges (e.g. Conestoga in your area) to see if they offer the MTO-approved Motorcycle Safety Training courses.

You would have to first write your test - at the end of which you would get your M1 license. Within 90 days of that, you need to pass your M1 Exit riding test - which gets you an M2 level license. You then have up to 5 years to actually take your M2 Exit test to get your full M license. You cannot go for that test until one year after you get your M2 (9 months if you have gone through the college testing process.

Confused yet?

Good luck!!!

Cheers,

Julian,

Whichever way you go to get the training, you are definately one step ahead already by realizing that you need to learn to ride before you buy a scoot.

Had the unfortunate task of examining a brand new wrecked scoot today. The scoot only had 6/10ths of a mile on it. The kid circled the dealer parking lot once and as he was headed out the driveway he dumped it.

Of course it was not his fault. He is claiming that the steering failed.

And as others have said, make sure your first scoot is one you can handle. A 500-750 is big enough to run with the big (and girls).

Oh, by the way, welcome to the Venture Rider site. Hang around, ask some questions, and don't believe one word those guys up in Canada tell you. :stirthepot: :rotfl: :duck:

:mytruck:

Again thank you very much for the extremly useful info.

I was thinking of buying a 2nd hand moped or scooter, as im only 17 years of age, and insurance is going to leave me with a sore behind.

Is this a good plan? Or should i look into purchasing a lower-priced/2nd hand (or in some cases "lower end") bike to start practicing after i get my M1.

And i choose this emoticon::dancefool: haha

Julian - start at the MTO office to pick up the Motorcycle Riding booklet.

I suggest you also look at the local colleges (e.g. Conestoga in your area) to see if they offer the MTO-approved Motorcycle Safety Training courses.

You would have to first write your test - at the end of which you would get your M1 license. Within 90 days of that, you need to pass your M1 Exit riding test - which gets you an M2 level license. You then have up to 5 years to actually take your M2 Exit test to get your full M license. You cannot go for that test until one year after you get your M2 (9 months if you have gone through the college testing process.

Confused yet?

Good luck!!!

Cheers,

WOW its just amazing what the auto insurance industry can get the government to do, they would have us all running up ramps and jumping threw flaming hoops if they thought they could get away with it.

Hello,

My name is Julian and im from Guelph, Ont, Canada.

Im interested in bike riding, but im not sure where to start.

Clearly i need my licenses, but are there resources out there that will help me gain the knowledge required to begin riding?

Regards

Welcome to the forum: Looking at your thread post your very new to motorcycles and I hope you read this threw and I don't mean to burst your bubble or rain on your parade, but the Royal Star Venture and Tour Deluxe is not for beginners yes its a big beautiful bike and I don't think there is any rider on the forum that was not intimidated the first time they rode it, most of us it takes 3,000 miles to learn it and relax and enjoy the bike. Some of the forum members posted good advice and we have a number of people here that live in canada you can get in contact with. Try looking in the news papers or even running a add for used bike's like the Honda Rebel and avoid anything bigger than a 750cc and even a 750cc can be very intimidating at first. Now riding with experienced riders you can learn a lot fast and learn a lot of things they will not teach you in any corse! Like you see a car pulling up to the road from a driveway or at a intersection and you should see the operator looking at you if not get off that throttle and hit the brakes your about to get run over.

Edited by ToRide1
fix

Yes, the Venture is certainly a bike to aspire to. I’m not sure if you know this but you’ve landed yourself right in the middle of a nest of motorcycle enthusiasts that one might argue has a fetish for these bikes! Having said that it’s all about the love of motorcycling, you’ll search long and hard to find a better bunch of folks and we welcome you.

I commend you for stepping up to the plate with your inquiries and that is exactly the way to start. How did you find us and what made you decide this group? Your timing is pretty good as there is a motorcycle show going on this weekend at the International Center in Toronto that might peak your interest. It’s not a very big show but there are usually booths set up with info on Rider Training courses, accessories and perhaps a few bikes. Here’s the link;

http://www.internationalcentre.com/events/international-spring-motorcycle-show-2009-04-04

When I started riding I bought a street legal dual sport bike that I could take off road. It was an easy bike to ride and a good way to learn. Not only did it provide me with transportation and a chance to learn safety on the streets but the off road riding helped develop the muscles and reflexes for riding. I’ve only ridden a moped once and that was just to try it out... I found the short wheelbase, small wheels and narrow steering quite awkward. All the best with whatever you decide!

Become a very " defensive " driver. Learn that in a Car !!

Buy a few books on " defensive driveing "

Also, off road bike rideing is a very good way to learn the basics.

While driveing cars, observe what the " stupid " bike drivers are doing,

and be sure you know what NOT to do if rideing a bike !!

:thumbsup2: